Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bowel movements have been disturbing

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Bowel movements have been disturbing

I'll try to be as detailed as possible with this. I am a 24 year old male, approx. 300 lbs, one year history of high blood pressure currently on Uniretic due to being overweight. History of anxiety and hypochondria.

I have been having odd bowel movements for around a year or so. I frequently get diarrhea that comes and goes, never really lasts for more then a day or two. I go probably 1-3 times a day. The stool sometimes floats and appears to be yellowish to light brown in color. It can also be normal brown color and proper shape. It usually appears to be soft. The stool also looks kind of greasy. One thing that almost remains constant is mucus mixed in with the stool. I usually see it on the toilet paper after wiping. I have never seen blood. I have considered IBS and other problems.

Since November of 2004, I have had an abdominal ultrasound, upper GI series, another upper GI series with small bowel follow through, three fecal occult blood tests, a few digital rectal examinations, every blood test under the sun including CBC's. Basically every blood test possible. All have returned perfectly normal except for the first upper GI series that said I had reflux. It's getting hard for my doctor to take me seriously anymore. He almost always focuses in on my weight and warns of diabetes and other problems. I am trying to get on top of that.

Should I pursue any other tests? I know at my age a colonoscopy seems almost out of the question. The doctor seemed very reluctant to schedule this test when asked. I have not been to see a gastro this is my normal physician. Thanks for your help.
I would consider a lower endoscopy at this point.  This can include either a colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy.  Age should not preclude you from having a colonoscopy.

Sending the stool out for fat malabsorption can be considered, as well as blood tests looking for celiac disease.

If the tests come back normal, you can then optimize treatment for IBS, including the use of antispasmodic agents and increasing the fiber in the diet.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I also forgot to mention I have gas pretty frequently but not really smelly. I also have had numerous chest x-rays.
No offense, but other than how your stool "looks" what are your symptoms? It seems you are overly concerned with appearance. Are you thinking you have a liver issue? If so, maybe ask your doc to run a liver panel.

I agree with your doc. You should try and focus on losing some weight. You are too young to be heavy, as the pounds come on fast enough later in life.

Hope you do ok.

Linda J
liver panels are fine and abdominal ultrasound ruled out any liver problems.
Hello - I would say you have IBS as well - as long as all your tests came back normal. I seem to have the same problems you are having and my doctor thinks it's IBS.

Don't let a doctor tell you YOU ARE TOO YOUNG! If you have a problem than they should do whatever tests that need to be done, no matter what the age! BUT, I seem to be having the same problem at the moment with my doctors thinking I'm too young for a colonoscopy. BTW, I'm 45 and they still think I'm too young. I see my primary doctor this coming Monday so I'm going to try like hell to see if he'll agree to the test.

To try to make a long story short - April 2006 had severe pain in stomach area (all over) - primary doctor sent me to a surgeon - he recommended having gallbladder removed because of a stone in the neck of the gallbladder. Had it removed a week later - the gallbladder has nothing to do with having IBS. Anyway, I told the surgeon all of my symptoms and he wrote it down as IBS and he recommended a colonoscopy and endoscopy, well so far my primary doctor never mentioned a colonoscopy. This coming Monday you can bet I'm going to bring it up again. I still have these problems, just like you have. Do you have any pain in your stomach area at all?

Oh, I almost forgot to say, I also was checked for fat malabsorption and celiac disease and this all came back normal. Just see if you can have that checked as well. If you can't get your doctor to listen to what you have to say and only focus on your weight, than see another doctor. Of course they all will mention your weight - just like they seem to mention to me about quitting smoking every time.

Good luck and let me know how you are doing!
Many people are diagnosed by their GP (sometimes self diagnosed) as suffering with IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome. IBS is mistakenly considered to be a recognised medical condition, which it is not. IBS simply means a collection of SYMPTOMS,[a syndrome] which relate to an irritable bowel, the CAUSE of which is never diagnosed.
In all probability you have a yeast infection , yeast is endemic . Most doctors ignore the condition..  read this man ,see if you relate.. My web site is down the page somewhat

http://drcranton.com/CFIDS.htm#CFIDS%20Paper
Your symptoms sound very much like the ones I had at 29--recurring diarrhea, sometimes painful, with lots of mucus. My doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist, who did a sigmoidoscopy and diagnosed Chronic Ulcerative Proctitis. She put me on mesalamine enemas, which cleared it up right away. Then she did a colonoscopy to find out whether the upper colon was involved, which it was, so the diagnosis changed to Chronic Ulcerative Colitis, and she switched me from the enemas to oral mesalamine (Asacol).

My colitis went away for more than 10 years, but has recently re-activated, probably because of stress, so I'm back on the Asacol.

If your doctor won't give you a referral to a gastroenterologist, find one who will!
Hello there - Have you found out anything yet? I certainly hope so. You really need to go to a doctor that will listen.

It's strange how I told you in my last post the doctors told me I was too young for a colonoscopy. I went to my primary doctor last week and he referred me to a Gastro doctor. I seen the Gastro doctor yesterday and I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on the 22nd of August. What I don't understand was I mentioned the mucos, but the gastro thinks it could be colitis or IBD. Now I thought these were inherited diseases - anyone here know about this? There is NO stomach problems that run in either sides of my family. Anyway, now I am a bit concerned.
I've never heard anything about colitis being inherited, and no one else in my family has it.
I went back to the doctor. He listened to my symptoms again and looked over the charts. He asked things like do you have bloating, frequent gas, things like that. I told him I had and I mentioned the frequent mucus again. He told me I have IBS. He prescribed Librax three times a day 30 minutes before meals. First couple weeks I noticed a big improvement in the mucus. I got lazy and stopped taking it three times a day, maybe once. The mucus and loose stool has come back with a vengeance.

I don't know if I m ready to settle on a IBS diagnosis quite yet. He said come back in a month for follow up. I will get back on the meds and see what happens. Next step I think is going to be a flexible sigmoidscopy. I won't have to be sedated for that.

I don't really know how to describe it. My bowel movements are always in the morning, most often after waking up. I usually don't go more then once or twice a day. The color has been normal brown for awhile now. It's usually a normal shaped stool that breaks and tapers off into much smaller pieces that kind of look diarrhea like. Sometimes I see mucus in the toilet, on the stool, and after wiping. I would think the upper gi series with small bowel would be a big step in ruling out malabsorption and celiac. I will you all updated, thanks for the comments.
Well, you know how it is when you read several websites that give you false information - that is what happened to me. I know now that it isn't inherited.
It is really good to hear the doctor is listening to you! I guess IBS isn't too awfully bad to have - from what I hear.

I know it is hard to stick with the meds 3 times a day, but I think it would be easier to stick with them if you take each pill with a meal. At least this is what works for me.

Please keep us up to date with your progress.
SkylerMA -
I just read one of your posts and see you have Colitis. Now I see why you posted to me that you never heard of it being inherited. No one in my family has or had it either. I really need to read up on it and learn more about it. I don't understand a heck of a lot about the disease - not sure if I have it or not till I have the colonoscopy done on the 22nd.

My email address is
bmw.girl.***@****
so maybe I can talk to someone that has it to see what to expect.
Hello Dr. Pho,

I have a question about strange bowel movement.  My bowel movement has finally regulated.  I had diarrhea for close to two weeks and just came to surprising conclusion I am lactose intolerant.  However, for many months I have noticed my bowel movement to have a straight line on one side of the movement.

This concerned me a bit. Aren't bowel movements supposed be smooth all around?  Thank you for your support and advice.

Sincerely,
Nik

Sincerely,
Nik
I recently had oral sex with a high risk person that I cannot contact. After going to the doctor he prescibed me CIPRO 500 2 times a day. I took it for 10 days. After drinking 8 cups of water with the medication & Worries of catching something horible. I lost appetite completly. Anxiety,panic and fears of doom had something to do with appetite aswell. A week after taking cipro I slowly started eating again , but my stool colour has gone very very light brown in color. Slight yellowish on paper when wiping. I am quite worried , For years my stool was dark brown and diarea (diarrhea) like. I assumed it was from excesive coffee drinking. My stool has been very light brown for over 3 weeks now. Other symptoms are headache daily , red veins in my eyes (slowing returning to normal),twich in my lower eyelid for 2 weeks after cipro, shaky hands , No diarea (diarrhea) but seem to be having around 3 bowel movements per day , lowered appetite , Quite a lot of gas. I am worried sick and dont feel the same as I did. I have been to the doctors a dozen times in the last 5 weeks since this happened. The keep saying anxiety. However I dont feel right. I was tested for hepatits 2 weeks after potential exposure on aug 20. If someone can help me please email me or reply to this posting. I feel like I am dying slowly. Eamil me at ***@****