Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Breathing difficulties.. Hiatal Hernia

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Breathing difficulties.. Hiatal Hernia

I have been diagnosed with a "slight" hiatal Hernia about 1 year ago.  I also have constant chest pain and get rapid heart beats and it seems like the heart is beating harder.  I also am having a problem where it seems like I cannot breath properly through my diaphram.  A few days ago, I was riding in a car and leaned down and for a brief second, I could not intake any breath.  I stretched out and could breath fine.  Since that day, I notice that I get a feeling of slightly not able to catch my breath and each time,  it feels like the problem is right in the middle/below the chest where the ribs meet.  

My question is:  Could this be due to the hiatal hernia getting worse and what, exactly, type of test do I need to get done to find out what is going on.  

Thanks for your time,
Bill
1 Comment
yes, the Hiatal Hernia can cause problems breathing. A Hiatal Hernia is a portion of the stomach that protrudes through the diaphragm into the chest cavity. Since the diaphragm is what controls breathing, any interference with the diaphragm can affect breathing. You should have an upper GI to check the progression of the hernia. Surgery to repair the hernia is an option.
A related discussion, hernia/heart distinction  breathlessness was started.