Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bright red blood in toilet
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bright red blood in toilet

F/Age 36/No family history of colon cancer/Father has Crohn's Disease and had most of his bowel removed, colostomy not needed.

Here's my story. I normally have very soft stools and in many cases diarrhea. I thought nothing of it because I had a gastric bypass in 2000, and that seems to be the norm for most people with this surgery. I had a blood test done in December 2003 which showed I was slightly anemic (10.8), so my Doc advised me to take OTC Slow Fe Iron. As I took the iron, I noticed my stools became firmer and had a more normal form.

In January 2004, I noticed during a bowel movement that my stool was streaked with bright red blood. I thought nothing of it, since my anal area was somewhat tender and rationalized I had a tear.

Well, 3 weeks ago, I had several (3) bowel movements in one day and forced the last before bedtime. I usually only have 1 bowel movement per day. With the last bowel movement, I noticed quite a bit of blood on the tissue and then saw quite a bit of blood in the toilet, enought to turn the water red. FYI...there was no pain. I was so freaked that I woke up my husband to show him. He said it happens to him too, so I calmed down and went to bed, not totally convinced this was nothing.

Two days later, I went to my Primary to follow up. I did have a bowel movement right before I went to see him, and it was normal. He gave me a rectal exam and fecal occult test (negative) and said he felt something but wasn't sure it was a hemorroid. My bowel movements have been pretty hard due to the iron supplements, so he thinks the change in the bowel habits has caused the bleeding.

I spoke with the gastroenterologist on 3/11/04 with a copy of a CT scan done 8 months ago on my conplete abdomen with oral and injected contrast. Report concluded the small and large bowel were normal. He said this scan was useless and said I needed a colonoscopy (which I already knew).

I have an appointment for a colonoscopy on Monday 3/29/04,
and here are my questions.

1.Could the bleeding had been from a hemorroid and reduced in size by the time I saw the doctor 2 days after?

2.Are CT scans really that inaccurate to see a polyp or colon cancer?

3. In the event I do have colon cancer, is bleeding an early symptom or a death sentence?

4. At what stage of cancer I,II,III or IV does bleeding usually show up on average?

5. Due to my age, could the colon cancer be all that advanced?

Well I think that is it. BTW...I got the CT scan to look for adhesions in my URQ because I occasionally experience what feels like a "charlie-horse" in this area. Sometimes it happens during a bowel movement, other times it is when I lift something heavy or move the wrong way.

Sorry so long, just wanted to give an accurate description.
Thanks so much...Dottie