Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Burning Lower Back, Fatty Yellow Stools, Bloated Feeling

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I'm not sure if my problem is more liver, kidneys, both or neither.
Just over a month ago I was hospitalized for more of a right lower back pain that was severe. It was not constant though. They did not see any kidney stones in their MRI, but the right ureter seemed like it *could* be a bit abnormal or inflamed from the scan. They said some stones do not easily show up though.

No stone passed my urethra and though the pain was bad I have heard stones are the worst splitting pain so this may well not have been the problem at all. There was no blood in the urine. My BUN/Creatinine Ratio was 9.0 a bit low Low and my Albumin/Globulin Ratio was a bit high at 2.5

For a few years had too much diet coke and a nightly glass or 2 of red wine but nothing more. (I probably did have too much calcium and oxalates) I stopped all that and have temporarily reduced my protein to make it easier on my kidney(s) if they are the problem. I always ate relatively healthily though
The MRI is a pretty comprehensive test of the kidneys - a negative test would make anatomical causes of the kidney less likely.

With the stool symptoms, you can consider looking further at the GI tract.  Inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic pancreatitis or malabsorption syndrome are all possible.  I would suggest sending the stool out to look for infection or fat malabsorption.  A colonoscopy should be done for a comprehensive study of the lower GI tract.  Imaging studies of the pancreas, as well as blood tests, can look for pancreatitis.  Finally, blood tests can also be obtained to look for celiac disease.  

If the lymph nodes in the armpits are enlarging - this may be indicative of an inflammatory process, infection or cancer.  A referral to a surgeon can be obtained to evaluate for these possibilities.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I had kidney cancer in 2004. and as of today my scan show a stable 1cm low attenuation lesion on the tail of the pancreas. does this mean my cancer is back? I have been feeling ill alot latley and my face looks yellow some day. I have nause and no appetit. I have also lost 15 lb. in 2 month . I still eat but have no appeitt. maybe someone can tell what I can look forward to as far as what to do next....biopsy? I talk to my cancer dr. on thursday the 15. thank you for reading.