Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Burning Sensation in Stomach

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Burning Sensation in Stomach

I am a 26 year old male. I have had very good health. Two year ago out of nowhere I started getting a burning sensation across my stomach. It felt like a warm burning sensation much like after you take a shot of alchool. It started off minor then everyday it got worse.  I saw a doctor and he put me on aciphex. The aciphex helped with the burning sensation. I noticed when I bealched it wasn't the same it was very low and had a hollow sound. It just wasn't right. After 8 months of aciphex I felt good enough to cut back on the dose untill I was completly off and feeling fine. It has been almost a year and out of the blue one week ago I started to get the burning sensation back in my stomach. It is bothering me because I really thought it was gone. The sensation doesn't go up like heart burn it just stays going across my belly. My doctor last time really couldn't say what it was.I was wondering if it sounded farmilar to you. It comes and goes throughout the day sometimes dull other times sever. Alchool and gatorade make it the burning 10 times worse. Any suggestions.
Thank You
Fred
Many causes can lead to a burning sensation in the stomach.  This can include GERD, an ulcer, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, or gallbladder disease.  

Alcohol can certainly worsen an ulcer or inflammation of the digestive tract.  

You can consider an upper endoscopy or upper GI series to evaluate for some of these causes.  I would also check an H Pylori test - since this bacteria is associated with ulcers or inflammation.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
i have had the same sensations the doc found Helicobacter Pylori
in my blood did the meds.but i dont think they worked this time as it got a bit worse after finishg them.
I started having burning in my stomach when I was about 4 years old. I didn't understand the cause so I used to say that my spit was hot. In my understanding I guess I thought my spit was hot and then I would swallow it and it would make my stomach burn. The burning has continued through the years and gets worse with age, I'm now 24. The burning can happen almost anytime but mostly when I'm hot. Either under a blanket or on a hot day. I can get temporary relief by either lifting up my shirt and standing in front of a fan or drinking really cold water. When I drink the cold water I can feel it going all the way down to my stomach and then it feels as if a fire is being put out. Also, once my stomach starts to cool down I can hear this sound coming from my mouth almost like the sound of water running down a drain. Its loud enough at times that people around have even heard it. I've heard from friends that it could be acid reflux. Do these descriptions sound like acid reflux and is that something you can start having at the early age of 4?
There are babies that suffer from reflux. Birth is the hardest thing a person goes through and can cause many spinal misalignments also known as a subluxation. Thoracic vertebrae 3-8 control the nerves that lead to your digestive system. If your nerve is pinched, then you may be having symptoms from a subluxation. I suggest going to a referred and reputable chiropractor to get an evaluation and treatment to see if that helps.
I to have a burning sensation in my stomach. I also wake up in the middle of the night with alot of spetum with blood in it. I went to the doctor last year and they checked and did several test and they did not find anything and stopped for several months and recently started all over again.This time I i get a little light headed from time to time
Can you please tell me what it could be?
A related discussion, stomach problem was started.
A related discussion, GERD & Stomach Pain with head ache was started.
A related discussion, Burning stomach was started.