Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Burning across back

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Burning across back
For the past few days, I've had a burning sensation across my
back, under my shoulder blade, primarily on the right side.
I thought at first it was caused by sitting in front of a computer all day and the fact I was carrying my grandson who at one is training for a football career!  He's a big boy.  It seemed worse after holding him.

Could this be a side effect of the Nexium I'm taking - this stuff has so many side effects, it wouldn't surprise me.

So, with the burning under my breastbone (gastritis) and now in my back, I'm wondering if it's all related or a side effect of the PPI?
Do you take nexium and still have burning in chest area ? I take pepsid and protonix and have this sometimes. I think it is when I eat the wrong food or lie down too soon after a meal. I woke up with the chest pain today and it is scary. I think it is from Dennys food last night, even though I don't eat meat or butter when I am there.
Yes, even with a total of 80mg daily of Nexium, I still have burning under my breastbone.  It doesn't matter what I eat.  I have an app't next week so I'll take the Nexium until then because it has helped some but I know I don't want to take it forever - I feel like I'm walking around in a fog!
Hi Nanci-

You know, you may really want to talk with your GI about switching. You shouldn't have "That" much burning on 80 mg, especially if you're watching what you eat. The nexium just may not be doing it for you. I would suggest a change and maybe more testing. Definitely bring up the burning in the back area. I think I've mentioned this before, but perhaps protonix might help. Try switching.

-Jenifer
I agree Jenn but I doubt if he will swtich without seeing me first.  I'm better than I was two weeks ago but I still have discomfort daily.  Do you think it's a mistake to keep taking the Nexium at this dose for another week?   I have an app't next Thurs
I would just stick with it! Honestly. One more week can't hurt, but gril the GI when you see him and demand HELP as well as answers! Let me know what he says.

-Jenn
I switched from Nexium to perscription Zantac and I feel much better after only 2 weeks