Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Burning pain at sternum

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Burning pain at sternum

I have burning rythmic radiating pain at the sternum going through to the back and to the left in the front. Also contractions or spasams.Always in the same place a two inch radius at the sternum. The pain is debilitating. I have to be sedated to make it through. Had all the work ups endoscopic, blood work, they eleminated ulsar, gallbladder, liver, stomach, ect. It starts usually in the afternoon and intensifies into the evening until I have to go to the er. It dose not nesessarly happen after I eat. And only happens a couple of times a year. The pain is so bad I have to curl up into a ball. No gi cocktails work, no acid reducers work to aleviate the pain. The only thing that works is being knocked out with opiate based drug. The last three months I have had 3 episodes. What can this be?
It sounds like a reasonable initial workup was completed - including endoscopy.  Other possible causes can include gallbladder or pancreatic disease.

You can consider an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the liver and gallbladder, or a more specialised test like a HIDA scan with CCK stimulation can be considered.

To evaluate the pancreas, blood tests looking at the pancreatic enzymes as well as a CT scan can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with your GI referral.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
My husband suffered periodically from a burning unbearable pain in the area of his sternum and during one visit to the Dr. a Dr. from Norway happened to hear his complaint.  He diagnosed my husband w/ an inflamed sternum.  Hubby cannot remember the meds prescribed but he recalls it was an anti-inflammatory which worked wonderfully.  He has not had it since.  Sending good vibes to your sternum :)
I have begun having a severe burning pain in my sternum.  It started about a year ago, and at first it only happened once every couple months, now it is happening at least once a month if not more.  My last episode left me doubled over in pain for over 2-1/2 hours.  I almost had my husband rush me to the hospital it was so bad.  Has anyone any ideas what this might be from?  I've had heart burn in the past, but this was absolutely nothing like what I've ever experience.  Is it just possible that this is a new heart burn for me or something else?  

Open to suggestions,
Angelsmiles2ca