Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
CCK Hida Scan

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

CCK Hida Scan

My GI doctor informed me the the next step in determining the cause of my intermittant, mild, mid right abdominal pain would be a CCK Hida Scan to rule out a "sluggish" gallbladder. My sonogranm was negative for gallstones and a CT of the abd. and pelvic area was normal. I had an upper endoscopy..DX: GERD.
I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy next week.
   Unfortunately the CCK(hormone)is not available until next AUGUST due to manufacturing decisions. My doctor tells me this is not a dangerous situation and I can live with it until then (lucky me). Has anyone run into this recently?
Tags: Pain, test
I too had a negative ultrasound for gallstones, however the HIDA scan showed that my GB was not functioning properly.  It is a pretty good test because you can have gallbladder disease without having gallstones.  However if it comes back that it is not functioning properly, check to see if there is anything you can take to help it, instead of surgery.  There is a natural gallbladder cleanse that you can do, if it is congested, instead of surgery unless absolutely needed.
Hi - I'm not familiar with the CCK Hida Scan.  My first question you to you would be have you had your gallbladder removed or do you still have it?  If it has been removed, why not ask your GI doctor about doing an MRCP or an ERCP?  I am having a consultation for an ERCP on Wednesday.  They think that my bile is too grainy and that is why I continue to have pains in my right side because the bile is too grainy to pass through the "nipple valve" in the biliary tract.  I orginally was taking Actigall to help thin my bile out.  Was actually feeling better then I becamse allergic to the Actigall and had to quit taking it.  I'm certainly not a doctor by any means but if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to try and answer them.  Best of luck to you.  Have a nice day!
Thanks for the comments....but let me rephase my concern. Is anyone being denied the CCK Hida Scan because of the unavailability of CCK (hormone used to stimulate the gallbladder)?

I'm having a HIDA scan with morphine done next week.  I still have RUQ pain after gallbladder removal 2 years ago.  I was also told that CCK is no longer available at this time.  I don't know if morphine would show any significance with an intact gallbladder or not.  I hope this helps.
Hi, I had a Hida Scan in September and I was told I was one of the last patients receiving the CCK because they had only one vial left.  Apparently, the company that makes it will no longer be making it and maybe someone else will be picking up the slack by next summer.  It was a very strange explanation because you would think some other pharmaceutical company would be happy to take over and produce more as soon as possible.  It sounds like it is a drug that is used quite often.  If you would really like to have this test done asap and are concerned you might want to consider checking other nearby medical hospitals.  They may still have the cck on hand.  I hope you can work it out somehow.  Good luck.
I had a HIDA scan done just before Thanksgiving and since there was no CCK available they simulated a fatty meal mid-way through the test. I basically drank a cup of cream. I am not sure if this substitution is as accurate as the CCK method. I had an Ultrasound in the ER, after a 12+ hour pain attack, the week before showing large stones but no wall thickening. The HIDA scan put me at a 54% ejection fraction and therefore within normal limits. Since the US confirmed stones and my history shows elevated pain, LFTs, WBC and Jaundice over the standard case but the HIDA shows normal passage, I am not too convinced that the 'fatty meal' version is accurate.

The information I have found on this site as well as the experiences I have read of all the other members here have helped to arm me for my follow up visit to the doctor tomorrow. Where, by the way, he is supposed to tell me I have Hepatitis. In conjunction with the GB stones or as it's own ailment????

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I had a Hida scan done the day before Thanksgiving; they acknowledged that they do not use the same chemical but said there was a substitute drug mad by some other manufacturer in Long Island!

My test came out low, a wopping 19- but doc is not **** anything until I have more pain in the right quadrant. I've had at least two of these attacks and constant bloatind, burping and constipation. My stools are never the same color- has anyone else had these weird symptoms too?

I has this test done this month.  I had to wait one week for the hospital to get the materials needed for the Hida Scan.