Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
CCK-hida scan results-Need help

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

CCK-hida scan results-Need help

I have been experienceing ruq abd pain that has been getting increasingly painful and interfering with my work and home life. It has started radiating up into my right chest into shoulder and around to my back.I have had an US, CT, EUS, and regular hida all which showed no gallstones or other problems. All blood work is normal including tests for h-pylori, celiac and LFTS. My recent CCK-HIDA results reads:Common bile duct seen in 9 mins, gallbladder in 12, and small bowel in 25 mins. All normal. Then after Sincalide was give over 45 mins there was no obvious gallbladder emtying on visual inspection or time activity curve. The pt experienced chest pain but no definite abd pain. (which is not true. I did have the ruq pain radiating into back and right chest)There is also no relative increase in small bowel motilty when compared to pre-sincalide scan.
COnclusion:Abnormal gallbladder ejection fraction, but the pt experienced no abd pain like recent complain (disagree).The pt did experience chest pain.
I have had IBS for 15 years now. Baseline constipation with horrible attacts of lower abd pain and diarrhe which relieves it. Symptoms not the same as these suppected to be my gallbladder. I am a 33 yr old female. All the family member on my fathers side have had their gallbladders removed either due to gallstones or dysfinstion GB.
My question is would this be consided a normal test. According to my GI Dr's RN he wrote in my record it was normal-slightly abdnormal. He told me if my EF was <25% my GB would definitely come out. Now I dont know where to go from here. I cant take the pain but he seems to think everything is normal. WOuld you consider this normal and what would you recommend as my next step? I cant keep living on pain meds!
Thanks for any advise you can give.
Tags: Chest, Pain, IBS
A low gallbladder ejection fraction can indeed cause the symptoms.  However, there is controversy as to how to proceed with borderline results.  Some small studies suggest a benefit after removing the gallbladder - but there is no guarantee there will be an improvement.  

At this time, more specialized testing can be considered - including a gastric emptying scan, esophageal motility studies or manometry to evaluate for Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
I, too, went through every test known for gallbladder problems with your same results.  Everything was "normal".  Next thing they say is "IBS". I believe that IBS is today, what ADD was yesterday.  I don't have lower abdominal cramps, diarreha etc. I don't have gastritis, sphincter oddi, hepatitis and all the other one's that go with it.  Now I am just labeled.  They think it is IBS.  I feel for you.  The only thing that I can go on is my "gut" feeling that it is still gallbladder. I have every symptom of gallbladder disease.  CAN A GALLBLADDER BECOME INFLAMMED AND GIVE YOU THE SAME SYMPTOMS AND THAT IS WHY THE TESTS ARE NORMAL?  I have never been textbook on anything.  If you feel that it is your gallbladder, especially with family history, like myself, keep pursuing it.  You know your body the best.  Not everyone is textbook.
A related discussion, scores was started.