Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
COULD CIRRHOSIS BE A RESULT OF EXPOSURE TO AGENT ORANGE OR OTHER HERBIC...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

COULD CIRRHOSIS BE A RESULT OF EXPOSURE TO AGENT ORANGE OR OTHER HERBICIDES?

RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH CIRRHOSIS, I'M WODERING IF IT COULD BE A RESULT OF EXPOSURE TO HERBICIDES IN VIETNAM. I DON'T DRINK THOUGH THE V.A. KEEPS TELLING ME I MUST AND TO STOP IT. I ALSO HAD TO HAVE DUPLICATE TESTS BY A CIVILIAN DOCTOR IN ORDER TO OBTAIN A DIAGNOSIS. THE V.A. REFUSES TO RENDER A DIAGNOSIS.
  ALSO, WHAT SORT OF DIET SHOULD I BE ON?
_____
Dear John,
A review of the medical literature does not provide conclusive evidence that exposure to Agent orange causes chronic liver injury.  In a study published by Tamburro in Environmental research, the author concluded that chronic liver abnormalities among Vietnam veterans applying to the Agent Orange registry were due mainly to other causes and not to herbicides and their dioxin contamination.
There is no specific diet.  You should curtail all alcohol intake.  Depending on the severity of your liver disease, it may be necessary to reduce salt or protein intake but these decisions are best made by your treating physician.
This information is presented for educational purposes.  Ask spoecific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: Agent Orange, cirrhosis
0.2

A related discussion, Vet Brother died of cirrhosis was started.