Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
CT SCAN RESULTS

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

CT SCAN RESULTS

I recently had a CT CHEST & ABDOMEN/PELVIS.  Can you explain the results to me.  2.5 cm. area of decreased attenuation in left lobe of liver-may be focal fatty infiltrates or hemangioma. I do not drink alcohol on a regular basis.  I do have asthma and have taken many drugs for it..accolate-daily, pulmicort-daily, advair-was on this daily untilrecently, steroids-when asthma flares, levaquin-in hospital and after and I take Allegra 180 mg. daily.  I recently had a partial hysterecomy with bladder tuck, vaginal repair, rectum repair and developed pneumonia in the hospital.   The Chest results were as follows:  Hyperaerated Lungs.  Thanks for any help
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

A hemangioma is a benign liver mass.  Prevalence ranges from 0.4 to 20 percent.  Most patients are asymptommatic.  The majority of hemangiomas are stable over time.  Treatment is indicated only if it grows or you develop symptoms from it.

Fatty liver has many causes including alcohol, non-alcoholic steatohepatits (NASH), medications, obesity or hepatitis.  This finding should be interpreted in context with other tests, such as liver function tests.  If your liver function is normal, than this finding can be observed periodically.  

The hyperaerated lungs are suggestive of air trapping - this is common in conditions such as asthma and emphysema.  Again, by itself, it doesn't mean much - it should be taken in context with the clinical picture (i.e. how your asthma is being controlled).    

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
hyperaerated lungs is consistent with asthma: it means there's some air-trapping, which is what occurs when the airways tend to close in areas; that's what asthma does. The area of decreased attenuation, described as possibly fatty infiltration or hemangioma are both common and innocent conditions and don't require any treatment or worry. But since your doctors ordered the tests for their reasons, the results should be interpreted in the context of why they were ordered: meaning, of course, the best explanations will come from them.
A related discussion, lung problem was started.