I have an endoscopy scheduled, but my PCP wanted to do an abdominal CT scan. It was done with barium swallow and IV contrast agent. The results were all clear. But because my symptoms have not improved, I
To answer your questions:
1) An endoscopy would be a better test for a gastric tumor than a CT scan.
2) A CT scan normally can image the liver and pancreas. If there is concern about a liver lesion, an ultrasound sometimes can get better images of this area.
3) The CT scan can be used to detect metastatic tumors in the area of imaging.
4) It normally takes a couple weeks to months for an ulcer to heal. Ulcers that do not heal may have other factors that come into play. This can include treatment for H Pylori or presence of a tumor that may be secreting acid.
5) It is possible, but not typical, for ulcers to be exacerbated by physical activity. If this is the case, you want to ensure that a cardiac cause isn't present. You can consider a stress test to evaluate for this.
Followup with your personal physician is essential.
This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Thank you very much for your reply. I don't know if you read follow up comments but I hope I don't have to post a new question- I don't completely understand the answer to #1. I understand an endoscopy is better, but wouldn't an advanced tumor show on a CT?
I have on going pain in my left side that seems to be tied to right hip pain, this seems to become severe when I have to drive for any distance....I am on estraderm patch for estrogen replacement and recently stopped the patch...the side pain seems to have subsided greatly...I am trying to get a CT Scan of the Pelvis and abdomen area but my insurance has denied this due to non-specific pain and said they would only approve an ultra sound first...how much more information can a CT Scan reveal, is an ultrasound a good tool to use or should I push to have CT Scan and not have to go through two different procedures...any ideas on this pain and how it might be related to estradiol patch?? Thanks for your comments. ( I will add my blood work has all come back normal on CBC'c, liver panel but I do continue to have a high Positive ANA count??
Copyright 1994-2017MedHelp International.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.