Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
CT scan

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

CT scan

I have an endoscopy scheduled,  but my PCP wanted to do an abdominal CT scan. It was done with barium swallow and IV contrast agent. The results were all clear. But because my symptoms have not improved, I
To answer your questions:
1) An endoscopy would be a better test for a gastric tumor than a CT scan.

2) A CT scan normally can image the liver and pancreas.  If there is concern about a liver lesion, an ultrasound sometimes can get better images of this area.  

3) The CT scan can be used to detect metastatic tumors in the area of imaging.

4) It normally takes a couple weeks to months for an ulcer to heal.  Ulcers that do not heal may have other factors that come into play.  This can include treatment for H Pylori or presence of a tumor that may be secreting acid.

5) It is possible, but not typical, for ulcers to be exacerbated by physical activity.  If this is the case, you want to ensure that a cardiac cause isn't present.  You can consider a stress test to evaluate for this.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Thank you very much for your reply. I don't know if you read follow up comments but I hope I don't have to post a new question- I don't completely understand the answer to #1. I understand an endoscopy is better, but wouldn't an advanced tumor show on a CT?
I have on going pain in my left side that seems to be tied to right hip pain, this seems to become severe when I have to drive for any distance....I am on estraderm patch for estrogen replacement and recently stopped the patch...the side pain seems to have subsided greatly...I am trying to get a CT Scan of the Pelvis and abdomen area but my insurance has denied this due to non-specific pain and said they would only approve an ultra sound first...how much more information can a CT Scan reveal, is an ultrasound a good tool to use or should I push to have CT Scan and not have to go through two different procedures...any ideas on this pain and how it might be related to estradiol patch?? Thanks for your comments. ( I will add my blood work has all come back normal on CBC'c, liver panel but I do continue to have a high Positive ANA count??
A related discussion, what test shows an ulcer was started.