Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Can Left Upper Quadrant Pain Be Associated With Gallbladder?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I've been struggling with "stomach" problems for over a year now with no relief from being on Nexium and antacids for that entire time.

Nausea, indigestion, and LUQ pain are part of my everyday life. It occurs in varying degrees and some days aren't so bad. But, I get these really bad "episodes" from time to time (too many to count last year) that are absolutely horrid. The nausea and pain will wake me in the middle of the night and last anywhere from 2-5 hours before subsiding. The worst pain is in the LUQ right by my ribs (sharp), but sometimes goes to my back. I get a crampy pain in the upper middle area, too. The pain can get bad, but the nausea is worse. It can get so bad that I have actually tried to make myself vomit. There is nothing I can do to make an episode subside, but wait it out. I usually end up laying on the bathroom floor (unable to get comfortable) until it lets up.

I cannot tolerate alcohol and I have to be VERY careful of greasy, fatty foods. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, but not anymore. I have a strong family history of gallbladder problems--all of my mother's 4 sisters had their's removed, as well as my dad and his mother. My family keeps insisting that I have my gallbladder checked, but I have been hesitant because of the LUQ pain. You always hear and read that gallbladder is associated with right-sided pain, but I have come across a few people in the last week that had left-sided pain associated with gallbladder and are now fine after removal. Is this a possibility?? I can't find any info on LUQ pain.

Please help. Thank you.
I would suggest that you get an appointment with a gastroenterology specialist as soon as possible.  The left upper quadrant pain and crampy pain in the middle area, along with this nausea, can be indicative of gallbladder or pancreas problems.  Often the gallbladder problems can lead to pancreatitis, in fact gallbladder difficulties are one of the major sources of developing pancreatic distress.  Or it could be another digestive ailment, but seeing a specialist and getting the appropriate tests done, should be your main goal for finding an answer to your troubles.  Nexium and antiacids usally do little to ease pancreatic pain.

Nanny
Yes, from personal experience, it can be associated with gallbladder.  It is best to see a doctor soon as I almost waited too long and had to have emergency surgery since gangrene had set in.  Surgery took care of all the pains for me.  Good luck.
A related discussion, can anyone relate to these sx-I'm miserable was started.