Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Can Sludge in the Gallbladder cause pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I was just diagnosed with sludge in the gallbladder and a polyp on the outside, can this cause pain/discomfort, I'm hearing conflicting stories. What would be the main symptoms of this condition?

I was also found to have sludge in my gallbladder after an ultrasound with tiny (sand) stones.  And I'm here to tell you that YES it can cause pain.  I was having the worst burning pain in my chest (like indigestion/heartburn), I was having pain in my right side that would radiate up to my right shoulder.  I was also naseuated and had diarrhea.  Sick, sick, sick.  I had my gallbladder removed on May 4.  I'm still having problems with the burning in the chest and am scheduled to have an EGD in the morning.  Cross your fingers for me.
Wow, Thanks for the feedback. Reading a some of the posts on this forum, sometimes taking the gallbladder out does not seem to always fix the problem, maybe its a hit or miss type thing. I'm wondering was your pain/discomfort more of a constant nature or just based on when you ate certain foods, because this also seems to be conflicting, some say only after eating certain foods others say more of a constant type discomfort with flareups when certain foods are eaten. Any comments and yes I wish you well in your upcoming procedure.
Having my g/b removed fixed all my problems except for the burning in my chest.  It comes and goes.  Some weeks (like this one) I'm fine and then other weeks it is horrible.  I can't seem to connect it to eating certain types of foods.  That is why I'm having the EGD and seeing the gastroenterologist.  To try and find out why it comes and goes.  Before my g/b was removed the symptoms were constant.  After my surgery I was wonderful for 4 1/2 weeks and then the burning in the chest came back.
I just received the results from a gall bladder ultrasound yesterday, I was told I have no stones but do have sludge.
My symptoms have been constant pain below my right lower rib, flatulence after eating fatty foods, and occasional chest or back pain.  Food does not seem to affect the pain one way or the other. I have been looking for treatments other than surgery, as I want to hold on to my body parts for as long as I can.  I have found a good deal of info, on this site and others about gall bladder/liver flush.  I am going to give this a try first, and see how it works.  If it goes as well as many people say it has for them,  I believe surgery can be avoided.

Mark
Mark,

You've got basically the same symptoms that I do, I spoke with a radiologist today and he said that the pains we get are typical of the sludge/sand in our gallbladder. He said generally you don't get the more severe type of attacks after eating a high fat meal as you would if you had stones, but nevertheless you still have the pain. I like you rather put off having it taken out if I can, but maybe since both sisters and Mother had theirs out for stones, It may be just a matter of time, (but I hope not).
I'm still scheduled for a colonoscopy this Monday, just to make sure nothing is going on in there.

Let us know what treatment options you are considering for your situation, you mentioned a "flush" have you researched that? Hows it work?

Mel
I had sludge in my gallbladder, and had to have it removed.  The Dr. told me that flushing it would only cause temporary relief.  My understanding is when their is sludge, the gallbladder is "dying" and therefore cannot process everything.  But, good luck with yours.
Well I did the flush last night.  Mel, for more info try <a href="http://www.************/gallstones/"www.************/gallstones</a>, there is a lot of info there.  Basically it consists of a fast, using a laxitive, then drinking a lemon juice/olive oil mixture just before going to bed.  So far the pain is greatly diminished, but not completely gone, I have had no flatulence or chest/back pain today.  I will probably do another flush in 2-3 weeks, and keep doing them until I no longer see the little balls of coagulated bile that I did this morning.  After that I will probably be once or twice a year.  I saw a mention of a medication called "actigall" on another forum.  I'm not entirely sure what it's purpose is, but it might be worth looking into.

Jillybean - my understanding of sludge is that it is not as advanced a condition as stones.  Basically there is stagnant bile and crystals, but no stones have formed yet.
Thanks, I'll look at that link. Just wanted to say that the colonoscopy I had monday was normal,which was a relief. So now onto the "flushes"

Mel
I am very confused I had an ultrasound done because I was getting terrible pain in my upper right side and it goes around to my back I have had three extremely painfull attacks and several minor ones ( not quite as painfull)the ultrasound showed that I have sludge in my gall bladder and a polyp my dotor sent me for a hida scan and my doc  said that my gallbladder is fine and that sludge doesn't cause pain I have heard several conflicting stories can someone please help when I have my attacks they are always after I eat something greasy or fried
I bet your Doctor has never had a gallbladder attack.  They hurt alot.  I had 2 before I ever found out what was wrong.  That was about 7 years ago. I never had any other problems with my gallbladder until after my 2nd child was born. I went for an ultrasound and I had sludge in my gallbladder. I know for a fact that it hurts.  I started like a stitch in my right side and then it would hurt out my back so bad.  I got and ultrasound and had my gallbladder out within 2 weeks.  It took the doctors about 10 years to find out what was wrong with my mother. They did every kind of test on her.  They did a couple of HIDA scans. The gallbladder can fool you. So, get some other opinions.  I amy be wrong...but a HIDA scan is suppose to show you if your gallbladder is properly processing everything out.  But, they tell you now to eat anything, so how is that suppose to show anything?? Just wondering.
he he it would make sense to gorge on food before the test I am now seeing a different dr I am seeing a general sergeon and he told me that sludge can absolutely cause pain and he is sending me for a hida scan with a cck on monday so hopefully I will get some results sometimes the dr makes you think that you are nuts and makes you question yourself maybe someday they themselves will need a doctor and hopefully they will get the same compassion that they give I do plan on eating something really bad for me for supper the night before
Let me know how your test turns out.  I hope that it shows up something.  They can usually tell that you have sludge by an ultrasound.  That is how they found mine. Let me know.
I hope they find something because I have been in pain for the last two days and I have just about had enough of it I'll let you know how the test goes some say their is a lot of discomfort during the test But I won't get results till thursday it kills me how long they make you wait to get results but I suppose it's not them in pain well I'll write tomorrow and let you know
A related discussion, Constant Pain in right side was started.
A related discussion, gallstones was started.
A related discussion, My 7 year old son has gall bladder sludge was started.
A related discussion, My  7 year old son has Gull Bladder Sluge was started.