Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Can a hiatal hernia disappear over time

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Can a hiatal hernia disappear over time

In 1972 I had undergone an endoscopy.  At that time it was determined that amongst other problems I had a hiatal hernia. For the past 2 years I have been suffering from nausea, lightheadedness, headaches, slight temperature rise, and a "shock wave" sensation through the body after I eat.  Quantity of food or specific foods are not the problem.  Any amount or type of food can bring these symptoms on.  In 2001 I underwent another endoscopy and it was determined that no abnormalities exist.  My present doctor states that it is not possible for a hiatal hernia to heal itself.  Is his statement correct that a hiatal hernia cannot go away by itself?
I was also just diagnosed with Hiatel Hernia.  My grandmother and Aunt both had one.  They were both given Tagamet (sp?) and the symptoms disappeared. Over the years when the hernia acts up they just take their medicine and the symptoms go away.  I was prescribed Nexium.  My Gp wants me to take it for 3 months.  I have noticed the obstruction in my throat feeling has subsided some.  It's only been a week on the Nexium so I am hopeful it will do the trick.
Hello!
  I was also diagnosed with a hiatal hernia.  This "shockwave" you're talking about......does it kind of feel like your stomach does a flip or a roll?  Sometimes, it almost makes me take a step back.  It's such an odd feeling and it scares me when it happens.  Does this happen to you as well?  
Thanks!!