Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Can constipation create toxins in your body that can make you sick?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am 27 years old. I've had a problem with constipation since I can remember. I found that at the same time I am constipated, I also get a yeast infection and I feel sick to my stomach (no vomiting) as well as a pain that comes and goes, it extends across my chest horizontaly,just below my diaphram. It's almost like a gas pain but worse. It takes my breath away sometimes. i also get pains in my lower back. I was wondering if the constipation is causing this, or is there something else going on? Does the constipation create toxins in your body that could make you sick?
Several different things can be going on here. If it is just constipation, ask your doctor about a new medication called Zelnorm, it is for constipation predominant IBS. I have a condition called gastroparesis, or delayed stomach emptying. It is not uncommon for people with motility problems anywhere in the digestive tract, to have it in more than one area. Often the whole system is affected. The nausea could very well be caused by the stomach not emptying properly. The symptoms can come and go. Ask your doctor about a gastric emptying test. It is a very simple, and noninvasive, procedure. You eat a small meal, lay on a table while a camera takes xrays as your food digests, and times how long it takes to empty from your stomach. That is the ONLY test that will measure your emptying rate.
Try the Zelnorm, it has worked very well for me, with no noticeable side effects.
Also, your intestinal tract can build up bacteria under those circumstances. You might also consider taking an over the counter supplement called probiotics. They help restore the "friendly flora" of the gut.
Or... could be something else. Those are just some thoughts.

the pain you are feeling could very well be from constipation.  part of your colon runs across your upper abdomen horizontally (called the transverse colon) up higher than most people realize.  gas and constipation extend the colon and can cause it to press on the surrounding organs like your liver and spleen.  your colon has "bends" in your upper right and upper left portion of your abdomen and they are prime areas for gas to 'get hung up' and cause pain.  probiotics can help keep the right balance of "good" bacteria.  but you really need to check out the different products because a lot of them don't have what they claim in them.  eating yogurt with "live cultures" can help.

take care
Thank you both for your comments...Whatever it is, I know that I need to go to the doctor for sure. The pain goes away and then it comes back. Each time it comes back it gets worse, the pain is stronger. Since I posted my question, the pain through my lower diaphram has gotten worse. Now I can feel it on the right side of my neck. I can explain the pain better now...it doesn't feel so much like gas anymore, now it feels more like hunger pains in my lower diaphram. I read about gal stones...the location of the pain coincides with symptoms of gal stones. But constipation does not. I'm going to wait to hear more feed back about it before I go to the doctor so I have more things to present to him...you know how they are...Is there anything over the counter besides laxatives to try? Thanks again
I think the reason people get constipated is from toxins, either bacteria imbalance or parasites.
Having just had my galbladder removed due to gal stones, I would like to quickly run through my symptoms (which I have discovered coinsides with other suffers) for your perusal against your own symptoms.
1. Increase in weight with no sucess at any diets to loose the extra.
2. Severe diorehea shortly after eating.
3. Constant bloating.
4. Developed severe indegestion/heartburn often coinsiding with nausea or vomitting.
5. Displaced pain throughout the stomach and chest.
6. Severe reactions to fatty foods and white wine.
7. Constant fatigue.
8. During the severest bouts of pain it would be impossible to acheive relief in any position, with pressure on the back being particularly painful.

Some X rays can detect gal stones. It was 10 minute, painless, ultra sound scan which eventually detected mine (after at least 3 years of misery).
I must report that although only 8 days post surgery, the weight is falling off, my skin has become clear again and whilst I must now monitor my diet I know that my general health is 100% better.
Good Luck with finding the source of your problems and I can only suggest that while searching for a diagnosis you try a high fibre diet on a daily basis, even trying a fresh fruit salad (make sure you include plenty of apple and orange, but go easy on the banana) for breakfast or prunes. Also make sure that you drink loads of plain water.
3. Constant bloating.
7. Constant fatigue.

I am having severe problems with constipation as well. I have tried prunes (tons of them), lots of water, stool softeners daily, metamucil and still my bowel just seems to lie there. I have had small bm's but not significant ones, and as a result ended up in the ER. After some xrays they told me that I had a partial blockage and needed to take several enemas to clean my system out. That's the only thing that gets it going. I am trying to add more bulk to my diet, but I had gallbladder surgery on January 24th, 2003 and was wondering if there is any correlation. It is only since the surgery that this has been so severe. I was on a liquid diet for about 11 days, then soft foods, and only this past week I have tried to add more roughage.
Hi, I have been having severe lower back pain that disapears within hours of completing my bowel movements for the day. I wake up pain free and the pain starts after my first bowel movement for the day. Sometimes I go a few times over several hours before I am finished and the back pain starts with the first attempt and continues till I am done for the day. I have regular bowel movements (not too hard, not too soft) I do however get diahrea a couple of times a month usually after I have been constipated for a couple of days. While constipated Ihave no pain. The pain is there even if my movements are very soft. It is right across my lower back and lifting my leg to go upstairs is excruciating. I walk humped over till it passes. I go to bed each night pain free and wake pain free. Any ideas as to what could be causing this would be helpful. Does anyone else reading this forum get severe back pain with their problems? I am booked for BA. Enema next week but don't even know what that is. My doctor mentioned Diurticualar disease but everything I read mentions only abdominal pain and only at very advanced stages.

Seems you have to have a credit card to receive comments. It is a shame that people have to have credit cards to receive attention. the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
1
I recently went to the doctor for daily vomitting with or without meals and he did raise the question about bowel movement.I have been constipated all my life, so is my 8yr old daughter and my mom.I am even digusted at the scent of my breath and i'm not a person who suffers from bad breath.My discharge looks normal but smells fowl also.If this is caused by constipation ,then I would like to know, if constipation is a killer?
I recently went to the doctor for daily vomitting with or without meals and he did raise the question about bowel movement.I have been constipated all my life, so is my 8yr old daughter and my mom.I am even digusted at the scent of my breath and i'm not a person who suffers from bad breath.My discharge looks normal but smells fowl also.If this is caused by constipation I think I need to change my diet.
have you guys notice all that prevacid,prilosec,zantac,gas x makes one constipated??
so does hypothyroidism,yeast /fungal infection.
or for a woman,hormonal imbalance.
A related discussion, is it a danger for your health was started.
A related discussion, tummy trouble was started.
A related discussion, constipation and possible toxin which is making my skin tingle was started.