Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Can h. pylori cause asthma like symptoms?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am experiencing extreme tightness of the chest and shortness of breath. My lungs and heart have been thoroughly tested. My gastro specialist has done an endoscopy and gall bladder ultrasound and the results have not been conclusive. My most recent test has been a blood test because he wants to check for H. Pylori. Could you tell me if it is somehow possible for H. Pylori to manifest itself through Asthma-like symptoms. I periodically have pain behind my sternum. I am also constantly experiencing tightness and bloating at the top of my stomach.
Definitely. HP causes the stomach to produce "Exssesive" acid, which causes reflux "like" symptoms. All the symptoms you describe are typical of GERD (reflux) which can be the result of HP infection. This is why the treatment consists of a PPI. To stop the acid. The PPI's important!!! Reflux can be serious if not treated. Take your meds ;-)
Here's something worth reading.

http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:n2xBXQVxy8kC:www.webgerd.com/+Symptoms+GERD&hl=en

-Jenn
Toccoah - Thanks for responding! I have also recently tried Pepto Bismol and strangely enough, as soon as I drink it I feel some relief from my Asthma Symptoms. The relief only lasts for a short amount of time, however.
Reflux can cause athsma.  I started having athsma problems along with reflux.  after checking my heart and lungs the Dr said it was reflux induced athsma.  get reflux under control and the athsma should go away.  I also experienced tightness and bloating right under the ribs.  I also couldn't eat more that a few bites before the pain set in.  After all the test I appear to be normal, but I stil have pain.  I am trying antispasmotic pills (possible spasms of the stomach)  they seem to be helping and also Prilosec for the reflux.  Good luck.
Well it looks  like it's back to the drawing board for me. The blood test came back negative for H. Pylori. I would have bet my life on it because I am experiencing many of the symptoms brought on by H. Pylori. My Gastroenterologist is now referring me to another specialist. Has anyone ever experienced extreme asthma symptoms brought on due to gastric acid, even though the source of the gastric problem could not be identified through Endoscopy and blood tests??
My friend works for an Ear,nose and Throat clinic.  she said that many people that come in thinking they have athsma find that it is induced by acid reflux.  Maybe that route will find you some answers.
I have SOB and wheezing.  I also was diagnosed via EGD for grade 1 esposhagitis due to Gerd/Reflux.  I am taking nexium.

My pulmonary doc said gerd is causing these symptoms.  I did not do too well on the peak meter test but he said it was good for me.  My hubby was only 100 points above me and he has no problems.

They decided to do a CT scan as I am still having some pain and belching and bloating. The liver, spleen and pancreas looked good on the CT scan but the bile ducts are dilated 11mm.  Not good.  They also found the hital hernia that was not apparent during the EGD.  Tomorrow morning I go for a MRCP test to check the bile ducts from the liver and pancreas.  I hope they find an answer to all this and a fixable one.
A related discussion, I get the same symptoms was started.