Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Can i have gallstones if my gallblader(gallbladder) was removed ?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I GOT MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED 10 YEARS AGO, EVERY THING WAS FIND SOMETIMES AFTER EATING FRY FOOD I WOULD HAVE TOP RUN TO THE BATHROOM,BUT OTHER THEN THAT WAS OK ,IN 2004 I STARTED TO HAVE DISCONFORT IN MY ABDOMEN I WENT TO THE DACTOR HE PERFORMED A ULTRASOUND AND ASK ME IF I WAS SURE THAT MY GALLBLADDER WAS REMOVED BECAUSE HE SEE'S GALLSTONES IN THE GALLBLADDER FOSSA. HE SUGESTED ME TO DO A CATSCAN I DID AND THEY ALSO SAYS THAT THEY SEE A STONE IN THE GALLBLADDER FOSSA,THEN THE DOCTOR SUGGESTED A NUCLEAR TEST I DID THAT TEST TOO AND EVERY THING SEEMS TO BE OK. THAE THE DISCONFORT WENT AWAY, NOW RECENTLY I START TO HAVE ABDOMEN DISCONFORT AGAIN THE DOCTOR SEND ME FOR X RAYS AND THEY SEE A GALL STONE SO THE DOCTOR SEND ME AGAIN FOR A ULTRASOUND JUST TODAY AND THE TECHNICIAN TOLD ME THAT SOMTING IS ACTUAL THERE CAN IT BE POSSIBLE?

THANK YOU
NICOLAS IELLIMO
The imaging studies that you had should be able to tell if the gallbladder is there or not.  If there continues to be confusion about this, an MRI can be considered.

Assuming the gallbladder has been removed, pain can still be caused by gallstones within the bile ducts.  An MRCP or ERCP can be considered if this is suspected.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I assume that the nuclear scan confirmed that there's no gallbladder?

If they are seeing what appears to be a stone, assuming the gallbladder is indeed gone, it's possible in two ways: first, a stone could have fallen out of the gallbladder as it was removed. Second, calcium deposits could have occured in the scar tissue that formed after the operation, and such deposits could look like a gallstone.

If you are able, it would be useful to discuss it with the original surgeon. If not, then it would be worth trying to obtain the operative report from the operation.

The final issue is whether the "stone" is responsible for the discomfort you are having. There are likely lots of people who have a gallstone hiding somewhere after gallbladder people (uncommon, however) and in most cases it wouldn't be expected to cause much problems. You may need a surgical consult to get it sorted out.
I know I'am not supposed to ask you this, but, I cant afford to pay! Can SOD cause back pain?
I have a friend who just did exploratory surgery for same thing...and found nothing. Please read as much as you can on this site, you will find you are not alone.  I hope that they are able to help you and find your mystery.  Some of us have not been that lucky and are still desperate for answers. (I too had my gallbladder out about 11 years ago and starting in 2004 have had continuous symptoms as you discribe) My help has been anti-spasm pills, as well as other pain control. Good luck.
I HAD MY GALLBLADER (gallbladder) REMOVED 22 YEARS AGO. I HAVE CROHNS AND FOR 10 YEARS I HAVE HAD SEVERE PAIN IN MY UPPER RIGHT CHEST WITH BACK PAIN MIMICING GALLSTONES. I IGNORED IT.NOW I HAVE STARTED HAVING CHARLY HORSE CRAMPS IN THE DIAPHRAM THAT LAST 30 SEC. TO A MIN AND SEVERE PAIN ALL THE WAY AROUND MY RIBCAGE. PAIN IN THE CHEST BREASTBONE AREA AND BURNING.IHAVE A GURGGLING SENSATION ON THE LEFT UPPER SIDE IN THE RIBS UNABLE TO TAKE A DEEP BREATH OR LIE DOWN.I HAVE A FEAR OF DOCTORS AND HOSPITALS SINCE HAVING A HYSTERECTOMY AND AFTERWARDS I HAD GANGRENE. I HAVE NOT SEEN A DOCTOR OR HAD MEDICAL TESTS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME AND WHAT I CAN DO TO STOP THE PAIN. IT IS BECOMING IN TOLLERABLE. PLEASE HELP!