Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Cancer and Muscle Cramping

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Cancer and Muscle Cramping

My father was diagnosed with colon cancer last year and had a large mass removed alongwith a colostomy put in.  He has since then had his colostomy reversed.  The cancer has moved to his liver and latest testing says his liver function is good.  Until recently he has not been sick or feeling bad.  Recently he has not been eating too much or drinking too much, losing weight and having severe cramps in his abdomen.  The cramping is so severe that he can not catch his breath and has trouble moving.  Is this a side effect from the cancer?  His doctor says it is from having two surgeries on his abdomen which sounds ok but why is it so severe and is there anything that can be done other than the normal stuff for cramps?  If you have any suggestions please help, he is really miserable and I was trying to find a way to help him out.  Thank you.
I am seeing the doctor myself for the same symptom.  I have not ahd the cancer and your father's symptoms sound like mine.  I am checking for Addison's disease .  The high potassium and low sodium may be causeing cramping.  I also have night sweats and leg cramps at night sometimes.  I think your father needs to be investigated by another doctor.  I personally don't think it is cancer related.