Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Canker Sores

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Canker Sores

I have a question.  I was diagnosed with GERD about 3 years ago finally after an upper GI was done.  As long as I can remember I have ALWAYS had heartburn and constant belching, sometimes for hours.  Well about 3 1/2 years ago, I got laryngitis, I was having throat problems, they put me on tagament which did nothing.  Within less than a year, I was choking all the time, could not sleep, coughing, difficulty swallowing, chest pain, and of course severe burning in my throat, along with esophagal spasms.  Still no one was listening.  Then a little over two years ago, symptoms got increasingly worse.  The choking was getting nightly, but for me this is not the worst symptom.  I get canker sores, they covered my tongue and my mouth up to fifteen.  They kept insisting that it was not related to the GERD.  So I just focused on the choking, I was put on Prilosec, 20mg, and it worked.  All the canker sores went away, eventually, I was moved to 40mg.  All was fine for the past two years.  Then recently I was switched from Prilosec to Aciphex, ALL my symptoms came back, choking, burning, burping, laryngitis, AND the canker sores.  They finally put me back on Prilosec 40mg with Achipex and Zantac, but NOTHING is working.  First question, are there others who get canker sores because of GERD?  And what should be my next course of action?  Thank you.
Redrose