Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Cannot digest some fats

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Cannot digest some fats

Most of my family has trouble digesting fats.  We get a stomach ache when eating some foods eg. rich and fatty foods.  This is relieved when we have about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.  I have not found anything on the internet about it.  

It seems to be hereditry in some way- My father and his 2 brothers have it. Their sister does not have it. Myself (female) and my brothers have it.  My grandparents do not have it.

Everyone has problems with different fats and in differing levels.  My father and myself major, others fairly minor.

Starts about 10-12 then gets worse by mid twenties, plateaus until mid thirties and disapears by fifties.

At the height (for my father and probably myself) cannot eat most fats (he could tolerate some bacon and ham and I can tolerate some lamb fat.)
Ask your doctor for a hida scan.  This will tell you why you can't digest fat or if you are at all.  The gall bladder controls the digestion of fat by secreting a bile.  If your gall bladder is not working, you'll get sick if you eat fatty foods. The gall bladder will all of a sudden stop working. And never start up again. If ignored the gall bladder will decay and basically turn to dust if left untreated over the years.  As age increases so does symptoms due to a dead gall bladder that is decaying. After a while the gall bladder breaks down and nothing is left and symptoms disapear but this process does take years.  If you can't digest fat, consider gall bladder tests. Gall bladder problems are hereditary.
A related discussion,   PBC was started.