Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Celiac or Irritable Bowel???

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Celiac or Irritable Bowel???

Here it goes....After being sick for a few months with horrible stomach problems and wieght loss I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in July for a blood test that is 90% accurate.  

I went for a biopsy of the small intestine to be a 100% sure that it was infact Celiac.  It turned out that my biopsy came back negative and I do not have Celiac disease.  Now I am told that I have IBS and to incorperate as much fibre into my diet as I can. Having done so I do not feel 100% better, some days I feel bloated and gasy and some days I feel naseous.  

I am now scheduled to have a Sigmiodoscopy and was told that they are only expecting to find IBS.  I have come to a point were I am periniod to travel or even to eat out for fear that I may not make it to a bathroom on time, it is almost as soon as I think about it or stress out about something it always flares up.  So if this is in my head how do I calm myself or learn not to panick or get upset.

I have been put on an antidepressant, I was told that it controls the nerves in your bowels as well, but I am still struggling.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Meggy, I have been struggling with the same 'celiac vs IBS' question for over ten years now. In my case the blood test was negative but the biopsy questionable. So they treat you for IBS and send you on your way. It does seem like stress makes symptoms flare up, but that would be true for most "organic" diseases as well as IBS.

It is possible that one biopsy could miss the celiac - for instance if you'd been going light on gluten in your diet, or perhaps they biopsied an unaffected area. And there are other conditions that can mimic celiac disease, such as lactose intolerance or food allergies.

The best solution I've found is to just experiment with your diet until you find what works best, and do what you can to minimize the stress in your life. That may mean making some sacrifices, but you'll feel a hell of a lot better.

Good luck to you, and don't stop pursuing the celiac question if your 'gut' tells you there's still something wrong.

Email me if you like - I would very much like to see how similar your experience is to mine, as far as symptoms, etc. ***@****
I too had troubles remaining continent after my IBS flared up terribly.  I was started on Symax-SR, and since then have had very few incontinent episodes.  My gastroenterologist told me that the incontinence is due to spasms, which is why we can't "hold it."  Because IBS is affected by stress, strong emotion, etc, that is why it happens when you worry.  Talk to your gastroenterologist, & good luck!