Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Change in bowel habits
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Change in bowel habits

For one month, starting on July 28th I started with diarrhea twice a day, it reduced to once a day. A couple of days I have been constipated with no bowel movement on that dat.  Since that time I have not had a normal bowel movement.  I only go once a day, but it is almost always loose or very soft and sometiems followed with diarrhea. I have had no formed stools in a month.  I have noticed no blood.  There is no pain.  Ocassional bubble feeling in stomach.  There is mucus in the stool also once in a while.  A couple of times the stools have been very thin, almost pencil like.  There is no urgency.  It only happens when I have my daily BM.  I am a 40 year old female.  I am concerned about colon cancer, but do not know if any of these symptoms could be colon cancer or some other diseae.  I did a ova and parasite test, but have not gotten the results back yet.  When I did the sample I noticed some mucus, possibly a little blood, but mostly just very soft, thin stools.  I have been nervous about this and not able to eat very much, so that could also maybe cause the change in the patern.  Thank You.
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Any change in bowel habits needs further evaluation.  The alternating diarrhea with constipation is suggestive of irritable bowel syndrome - which can be treated by increasing the amount of fiber in the diet as well as possible anti-spasmodic agents.

However, before settling on that diagnosis, more serious diseases should be ruled out - including cancer.  

At this time, a colonoscopy would be a reasonable test to pursue.  Not only are polyps and cancer ruled out, things like colitis, or inflammatory bowel disease can also be evaluated for.

This option should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
0 Comments
Blank
Listen to the doctor. I had your exact symptoms with the added factor of bright red blood. I thought I had a hemmie. Instead I have a large, aggressive, squamous cell carcinoma in my rectum. Now I have a colostomy, am facing chemo and radiation and perhaps surgery, perhaps an early death (I am 66). If you haven't already, get thee to a doctor at once.
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979