Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Chest Pain Around Clavicle

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Chest Pain Around Clavicle

For the past three days, I have had a persistant pain in my upper chest above my breasts, below my neck, in my clavicle area. It extends into the very bottom of my throat. It feels more like a pressure and tightness, (like someone is sitting on my chest), that extends across my chest from shoulder to shoulder. The sensation is persistent, not intermittent, and feels similar to having on a shirt with a tight collar. Breathing is okay, but my chest is somewhat labored in the up and down movements. And if I apply pressure to my chest, it is sore. I cough occasionally, with no discharge or mucus. I don't have any cold symptons.

I am pretty certain this pain is not related to my heart simply because the pain is persistant and does not increase in intensity. I am worried however, simply because I am obese and because the pain has lasted for several days. I am 24 years old. Two years ago I lost 120 lbs through diet and exercise, but have subsequently gained the weight back. I have an appointment with a bariatric surgeon next week, and am actively persuing gastric bypass in the next few months.

When I was in the 7th grade I was treated for Acid Reflux (the acid reflux caused SEVERE, crippling stomach pain) caused by anxiety, and given Zantac. I haven't had this occur since then, however I am wondering if anxiety could be triggering this. The problems with my stomach would last 20-30 minutes, not days as this has.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Alicia

Further evaluation of the heart can be considered with an echocardiogram to ensure this isn't cardiac.

Possible GI causes can include GERD, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, an ulcer, or irritable bowel disease.

You can consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy for further evaluation of these conditions.

If cardiac or GI causes have been ruled out, you can consider a musculoskeletal cause or anxiety leading to the symptoms.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Gall bladder pain can sometimes be felt around and behind the right clavicle.