Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Chest Pain Both sides now

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Chest Pain Both sides now

Ok, I am having chest pains on both sides of my chest. I was diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia about 5 years ago and even back then I had chest pain on my left side only. Doctors did all the EKG's and chest x-rays to se if it was my heart and all that checked out fine. I have had chest pain on my left side since 1995 and knowone can tell me what exactly it is. There are times when I am just sitting around and it flares up, Then i Pop my neck and my back sometimes pops too and the pain and pressure go away. My left side is so sore. I was involved in a car accident in 1995 and the doctors told me that it was costochondritis,, they told me that I had a rib out of place and thats what was causing my pain. I do get panic attacks not as often as I used too but I do get them, so that could be part of it i guess. But in the last week I have had that same pain on my right side, it feels as if I need to pop my neck and back, but I cannot get it to go away. My stomach has been kind of bloded lately and when I press on the area where the stomach and diapraghm meet I can feel that pressure in my chest and it kind of hurts too. Now the pain is only on the upper part of my chest except when I am sloched over I can feel pressure in the middle of my chest too but when I sit up straight that goes away. This only bothers me when I am awake not when I am sleeping. Is this a heart condition, hernia, or panic condition? I just want to know. Thanks!
wow, I think that we are one in the same person, I have been having chest pains for the last year and a half. I too was told at first that I had costochondritis, then it was that I had panic attacks, then it was mybe this is related too my GERD, then it was esophageal spasm, and then the latest is thoracic outlet syndrome. I have no doubt at all that I have majority of thes but if ya think about it all of this ties in together, by the way look up Thoracic outlet syndrome and see if the symptoms match as wee. Anyway I just had my 2nd EGD done last week and found out that I have a minor Hiatal Hernia and that since my 1st EGD last April I have developed this as well as class c erosive esophagitis. I thankfully was just put on NuLev for the esophageal spasms(which ironically can simulate a heart attack or angina perfectly right done to the arm and jaw pains)I am recieving the anti-reflux surgery on Tuesday to hopefully alleviate most of the symptoms I am having. The way that I see it is that the GERD and erosive esophagitis brought on the chest pains the chest pains brought on the panic attacks the panic attacks brought on the thoracic outlet syndrome and so on so I am hoping that if I get rid of the first thing or at least try to that might take care of the rest. I know that this probably is'nt that much help but you are definately not alon in this.

I have be having chest pains for over a year, last year they removed my thyroid, I have had cardiac cartherization, I take 40mg of priloic and i still have chest pain my arm hurt neck pain
ect... I sure wish i could get the correct answer... thanks for listing
jonp
.
I suffered with similar symptoms, plus more, and have had numerous tests, scopes, etc. done with no problems ever found.  Finally it's been resolved.  I've had carbon monoxide poisoning for the past 1 1/2 years.  Dr.'s rarely diagnois chronic co2 poisoning as there are so many symptoms pointing to so many other things.  Ask for them to check your oxygen level in your blood. I had tons of blood work done but they don't check your oxygen level as a routine blood workup.  Check out www.coheadquarters.com and www.carbonmonoxidekills.com as this too may be the cause of all your suffering.  You'll be amazed!!!
DRP

How were you being exposed to the carbon dixode, is it possible
to be exposed inside my car, while commuting to work ect....
thanks for the information
jonp
make that carbon monoxide
It's amazing how much unexplained chest pain is common !
I had been having chest pains for over 4 years (!) now,
and the doctors are still baffled about the cause. I have quite a large hiatl hernia with GERD, and an having attacks of chest pain. They may last for 1-6 hours, and are usually accompanied with nausea, bloating, burps and general ill feeling.
I'm on Prevacid twice a day now , which seems to help a lot (even though not completely). If I stop taking the medicine for more than 3-4 days - all the symptoms are back. My doc. asked me to consider surgery to repair the hernia, since I'm still young (38) and he wants me to consider if I want to take medicines for the rest of my life. I still need to think it over...
Just to let you know that you're not alone ! Find a good gastro that will help you.
I don't know if you can get carbon monoxide from communting in your car.  Maybe if you have some kind of exhaust leak.  The elbow of the flue in our attic had been knocked off when it was re-shingled.  Plus the connection in the basement was not connected properly when the furnace was installed.  There are lots of ways to get carbon monoxide in your home.
A related discussion, Chest pain was started.