Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Chest pain/esophageal spasm

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Chest pain/esophageal spasm

Can anyone tell me the symptoms of esophageal spasm/hypersensitivity? I have been experiencing persistent chest discomfort for several months. The discomfort varies: chest pressure/tightness, clenching pain under the sternum, dull aching pain under the sternum. It all started with a severe cold/cough last fall. Subsequently, I had horrific heartburn and chest bloating after meals. Went to the doctor and was put on Prilosec, which relieved the heartburn but didn't help the chest pressure much. Two weeks into the Prilosec, I started getting clenching pains under my sternum. I was switched to Protonix, which seemed to relieve the clenching pain, but not the chest pressure. I've had a complete cardiac workup (including cardiac cath) -- all normal. I've had two chest x-rays, upper GI barium test, endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, abdominal CAT scan. All normal except for liver cysts found incidentally on the ultrasound and CAT scan. Latest medication is isosorbide (a nitrate used to treat angina and esophageal spasm), but it's too soon to tell if it's helping.) The current medical opinion seems to be possible esophageal spasm consequent to previous acid reflux, but all doctors are emphasizing anxiety/stress. While anxiety does seem to aggravate my symptoms (and I'm taking Xanax), I'm worried that there's too much focus on stress and some more serious physical condition is being missed.

I'd welcome input from anyone with chest pain thought to be associated with the esophagus.
hi i have had esophageal spasms on occassion but not to the extent you describe. mine seem to occur when i am very hungry and then eat too fast or drink alcohol with my meal..they usually last about 20-30 mins. maybe changing your eating habits will help? i now eat several small meals per day and dont let myself get too hungry.
Hi!

I too suffer from some sort of esophagael disorder. I was supposed to have a motility test done last week but had to reschedule. I suffer with pain in my chest straight through to my back. Somestimes I only feel it in my back. Sometimes I feel a little bit of tightening in my throat which is like a slight choking sensation. This is all sometimes overwhelming. Hard to think of living forever for this. I would like a quick fix. I also, through scopes, etc., have gastritis and reflux. No bacteria, just inflammation in my stomach and my esophagus was red. I also suffer terrible with Anxiety Disorder and Depression, but I can tell you the stress from these probaly did cause this. Now I have to correct the chemical imbalances that cause anxiety and depression, but I have to change my diet, and somehow heal the esophagus and the reflux. Concerned lady has some great suggestions.
HI,
I have had similair symptoms to the ones you are describing.
I have had many tests done. My problems is instense pressure between my lower diaphram and my throat.my heart and esophagus are fine so they say.I'm trying many diffrent meds but have not found the right one yet. I had a endoscopy and it was fine.
The Doc. is treating me for spasam.I would like to know if there is any thing natural or any type of pt that can be done?
thanks
hail
A related discussion, small spasams in upper chest was started.
A related discussion, esophagus spasm was started.