Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Child cries everytime she has a bowel movement

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My 5 year old daughter has had problems producing a bowel movement since she was 2. She has pain when she goes, so she holds it in, then she has more pain, causing a viscous cycle.  We've changed her diet, to include grains, fruits and vegetables.  The doctor we see says to give her Senokat, but I don't feel that is the answer every time this happens, because it happens all the time and she would be living on a laxative everyday.  He is offering no additional help and I don't know what else to do.
I guess what I would do is to get a second opinion.  I agree that using a laxative everytime would probably be more harmful.  Good luck!
I agree with EVERYTHING the others have said to you!

I have 3 quick ideas for you (repeating the good advice of the others here):

1)FIND A BETTER DOC (A GASTRO-INTESTINAL SPECIALIST!!!) who can at least EXAMINE your child, and do some TESTING, to see what might be causing the pain, if the pain is not simply due to hard stools!

2)PRO-BIOTICS such as ACIDOPHILUS AND BIFIDUS are fantastic for making the large intestine normalize, with softer stools.

These "pro-biotics" are edible, beneficial bacteria that must be replaced (by eating or drinking the probiotics), when drugs such as antibiotics kill off these good bacteria all along the digestive tract!

A good health food store sells pro-biotics, from a refrigerated section. Look for milk-free types, and with as few additives as possible, preferably gluten-free (free of wheat, rye, oats, barley, and buckwheat).

3)Look for websites by Dr. Fine, about FOOD SENSITIVITIES, including possible GLUTEN SENSITIVITY (also called CELIAC DISEASE or SPRUE), milk sensitivity, etc.

Good luck to you.

Sincerely, Concerned lady
If she cries in pain she may have an impaction of stool. A Dr/Nurse practioner can remove it manually but to prevent it recurring, add more fiber to diet. Shredded wheat is a very good source. Try to get more raw fruit and veggies- not in juice form as that removes all the fiber.
For a natural laxative when needed- try warm prune juice- if that doesn't work, add some Milk of Magnesia to the warm prune juice.
If she has an impaction though- it needs to be removed before using the above. Does her abdomen feel hard? if her lower abdomen doesn't feel soft when you slightly press- take her to Dr/Nurse practioner.
umm i actually have a question... I can't go to the bathroom.. When i try it hurts really bad and i haven't gone for 3 days... It hurts really bad and i need so advice on what to do... Cuz it seems to be wanting to come out.. but when it starts it hurts really bad like something is stretching or something...I don't know i just needed some advice.. I'm only 16 and i don't wanna go to my parents cuz i feel uncomfortable.. so i thought i would serch the internet! thanks if u have ne advice