Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Chineese Herbs and hepatitis-C

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Chineese Herbs and hepatitis-C

Posted By R.J. on September 01, 1998 at 13:12:13:

I have chronic hepatitis-C and my liver enzymes have been elevated for at least 15 years. I was confirmed to have C about about 2 months ago. In Oct. of 1997 my SGOT was 74, SGPT was 155[both above normal]. I went to a classically trained accupuncter and herb doctor here in Houston TX who told me they have been successful in treating hepatitis in China with herbs. I`ve been drinking the herbal preparation in the form of a tea twice per day for about 2 months. Last week I had another liver panel done by my gastroenteroligst and the results are SGOT-36[normal], SGPT-68 {normal is 9-65]. Obviously the herbs are having a positive effect. I will keep taking the herbs for at least another 6 months. The3 only other "treatment" i`ve used is the herb milk thistle from my health food store 3 times per day. What implications would you draw from this? My viral count right before starting the herbs was 978 times 1000. Does the near normal liver panel indicate that the herbs are killing the virus? Obviously i`m very encouraged. My recent liver biopsy indicated mild to moderate liver damage and my gastroenteroligist said on a scale of 1-10 I was about a 3. Can my liver repair itself? There have been no adverse side effects from the herbs and I want people to know that this may be an alternative to interferon which I didn`t want to take because of the reports of undesirable side effects. Thanks for your help.