Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Chronic Nausea

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Chronic Nausea

I have been having nausea on and off for two years now. I have had an appendectomy, my gallblader (gallbladder) removed and endoscopic sinus surgery with tonsillectomy on the side. The nausea lasts for four to five days at a time and seems only to be relieved by eating but then comes back moments after I finish a meal. It lasts all day and has not resulted in actual vomiting. I also developed indigestion for the first time in my whole life about a year ago. Also on and off, I'll take Tums for a couple of days (worse in the morning)

I have had endoscopic search for ulsers (neg) and blood work for many things including h. pylori (also all neg) My Gastro prescribed Methocropalmine (sp?) to take 30 min before meals not really helping. He also diagnosed me with Gilberts Syndrome due to my high liver count.

In addition to the nausea (may or may not be related) I have recurrent bouts with lower left abdominal pain and diarhea (diarrhea) after eating. This also comes and goes every two weeks or so and lasts four to five days. It does not appear to be diet related as I have tested this theory. So, If I'm not nauseaus, I've got lower left abd pain with diahrea or indigestion. ARGH!

The only other medication I am on is zyrtec (for enviro allergies - none to food) and yasmin (birth control for a few years now).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
An endoscopy is a pretty comprehensive evaluation for nausea.  H Pylori is also a reasonable test - from your description, I am assume these tests were not revealing.

The next test I would consider would be a gastric emptying study.  This can look for delayed gastric emptying - or gastroparesis, which is also a significant cause for nausea.  Nausea can occur after eating in this disorder.

Regarding the left lower abdominal pain - this may or may not be related.  Causes include colitis, inflammatory bowel disease, or a mass.  A CT scan would be a reasonable first test to evaluate this pain, followed by a colonoscopy if the scan was not revealing.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
I'm 15 and have been unwell for 3 years, i first started expieriencing stomach aches and tiredness in the first year, they diagnosed me with having M.E. I used to have nausea on and off, bit of dizziness, alot of burning (this was treated with gaviscon) and loss of appetite.  The burning did eventually go away and i started to get back into the habbit of going to school/going out etc. But I've never been 100%.
Then in Sept 2003, I started having chronic nausea, very bad dizziness/fuzzy head (as though im not really here)headaches, bowel problems, sensitive to light and sound.  The nausea and dizziness are the worst symptoms, at least for dizziness i can lay down but for the nausea i have to force myself to eat when feeling extremly sick, and i don't know what do do anymore! Nov 2003 i had a barium (sp?) swallow, this showed up as me having reflux.  Could i be feeling nausea from the reflux at all? I've tried loads of reflux medicines to help the burning/nausea possibly coming from my reflux, antacids i've tried, tablets to empty your stomach quicker, I just give up.  Me and my family are in such a state, i haven't been able to go to school for 6 months, or go out with friends to shops or anything due to feeling so poorly.  
End of Jan 04, went to see a nutritionist (sorry about my spelling) he did a pin ***** blood sample and showed us it under the microscope and found out i have a leaky gut/candida.  i also have an intolerance to E numbers, and a problem with my nervous system, I'm being treated for the leaky gut, have been on all the supliments for about 3 weeks and im still feeling awful.  I can have a not so bad week, and then the following week like this week has been hell.  I've tried all the anti-sickness tablets going and they just don't seem to help.  Also tried Aloe Vera juice, to help my bowel, didn't really help either!  But it would be nice if u could give me some advice on my nausea, and whether you think having an endoscopy to look further into my stomach would proove/show anything up.  Many many thanks.
Bex
sorry i just posted that in the wrong place! *silly me*