Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Chronic Reflux? - What to do

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Chronic Reflux? - What to do
Hi Dr,

After three days of being on doxycycline for en eye infection, I started experiencing a sour stomach, nausea, and acid buildup in my throat. I had to continue with the doxy for a total of 2 months. Went to PCP and he put me on Priloec 2x/day with no relief. Now he added reglan before breakfast and dinner. Been on Prilosec for approx 1 month and Reglan for 5 days. No reflief and my appt with a gastro isn't for 2 weeks.

I am looking for advice on what I can do for relief? Try another PPI? My main symptoms now seem to be reflux for most of the day. Mornings are usually worse, but still can feel the acid in my throat at night as well. Sometimes eating does help my symptoms.

Thanks!
Doxycycline is known to cause upper GI inflammation.  

I agree with the Prilosec to help with the reflux symptoms.  Combining the Prilosec with an H2-blocker like Zantac or Pepcid can be considered.

Further evaluation can be done with an upper endoscopy or 24-hr pH study to quantify the severity of the reflux.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com