Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Chronical Hepatitis B, what are my options

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I was dialognised with cronical HBV about three years ago. I had accurate HBV when I was about 16. I've been seeing a doctor at U of M. for some time now. The doctor tried to get me into some trials about two years ago. But my ALT was not elevated anough. According to the doctor, since my ALT was not hight enough, I would probably not reponse to normal treatment like lamivudine. Hence I waited.

Last week I did another ALT test, this time it's high enough (90) for a trial. But for some reasons we decided not to participate in that specific trial. Instead of that, I would like to start normal treatment as soon as possible. Because of the doctor's busy schedule,it seems that I won't be able to see the doctor until late next month.

I am worried about the flucuation of my ALT level and afraid that when I finally get to see the doctor he/she might find that my ALT is not elevated anough. I've waited for a long time and I don't want to do that any more. Although I've made peace with HBV, I will do my best to make things right for me.

By the way. I am about 35 and my general health is good.

Please tell me what options I have. My insurance is M-Care. I can see any doctor within M-Care network.

Thanks a lot,
Hello!
Mind me asking what kind of trials you are talking about here? Your ALT was elevated to 90? I was reading on here that some one had an ALT Enzyme Level of over 800. Have you ever heard such? I just recently had a Liver profile done and my ALT was 117 and my AST was 85. To me these seem low comparing them to some others on here. I am now awaiting results for more tests that I had drawn for Hepatitis and a Liver Ultra sound. Any comments would be appreciated. And good luck to you!
Hi Marcy,
Sorry that I did not check the forum sooner. The trial was Enticavia? I am not sure if I spelled that right. I know that my ALT is not very high and some people have ALT level around 1000. Nobody else has any comment on my question. I am waiting for my next appointment. I guess I don't have any other choices.