Compatability of medication
I am a 76 yr old female, have an ileostomy for 40 years, with Barrett's Esophagus. I take the following medication immediately after breakfast:  40 mg Prilosec and l00 mg.capsule of Zoloft for anxiety.  Question 1:  Are these two medications compatible if taken at same time. Recently the Zoloft was furnished in capsule form;  previously, in tablet form.  
Question 2:  New symptom of 'burning' in epgastric area is relieved by taking Maalox Max.  Does the Maalox interfere with efficacy of the Zoloft and Prilosec.  Is it okay to take the Maalox 1 hour after the other drugs are taken.
Finally, is it possible the capsule of Zoloft is contributing to the problem of the 'burning' for I am not aware that this symptom appeared when I was taking the tablet form.
To answer your questions:

1) There should be no reason why prilosec and zoloft can't be taken together.  

2) It should be ok to take maalox after the two drugs are taken.  However, since you continue to have symptoms despite being on prilosec, you may want to consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy to evaluate whether there is another disease process going on.  

3) Dyspepsia (i.e. upper GI discomfort that can include burning) is a known side effect of zoloft, affecting 1 to 10 percent of patients.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.