Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Constant burping during sleep (is it connected with Apnea?)

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea two years ago.  I have not been compliant with my CPAP machine.  My health is deteriorating, high blood pressure now and high collestrial.  Do you think my Sleep Apnea is causing me to belch half the night?  I snore heavy and hardly wake up (it seems) but my muscles are always sore and I am fatiqued most of the time.  Been this way since a child, I am now 59.  The problem with the CPap machine is that it makes even more air go into my stomach.  I am going to try it again after I get a new sleep study. It seems that it is happening when I am sleeping.  My question is: would sleep apnea cause a person to belch half the night or might it be my drinking/eating habits?  During the day the belching is not so bad.        

I have given up most diary products, I now drink Soy Milk.  However, I still have about three glasses of red wine in the evenings.  Would wine cause this belching.  Went off the wine, but didn't see much difference.  Both my mom and dad had stomach elsers.  I also take Prolesec (which was what my HMO's prescribed for the belching).  It helps the acid reflux, but not the belching??? Help... I'll try anything.  Even tried charcoal pills, but only got black stools....  Bonnie
I am not aware of sleep apnea being associated with belching or burping.  

You can consider further evaluation for GERD, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, irritable bowel syndrome or an ulcer.

An upper GI series can be done initially.  If negative, you can consider an upper endoscopy.  Blood tests looking for the bacteria H Pylori can also be considered - as this is normally associated with ulcers or inflammation.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, continuous burps at neight. was started.