Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Constipation and Stringy Stools
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Constipation and Stringy Stools

I am a 29 year old female in otherwise good health. I am 5'1 102lbs. I have not experienced any wait loss.  For the past two or three months I have been extremely constipated. The only way I can have a bowel movement lately is by drinking a lot of fluids and taking a fiber supplement. Twice I had to use a saline laxitive. I only use laxitives normally once or twice a year, so I know I don not abuse them. I have not noticed blood in my stool. Before I increased my fiber and water intake it would be more than a week before I even had a bowel movement and even then they were more like small pellets. I have been constipated several times in the past since high school, but I do not remember being constipated for such a long time as this. Now that I have have made some diet changes I have a bowel movement everyday. I am still worried about the possiblity of colon cancer. I am worried about the shape of them. They seem to thin about 1/4 of an inch from the end, but the rest looks normal in caliber. Also, yesterday I had a long stringy stool that connected to larger peices together. Today, my bowel movement was normal. I do not have a lot of cramping or gas, but I do feel I have to strain a little. Sometimes I feel like my rectum will not relax when I have the urge. Should I be worried about colon cancer? Nobody in my family has it. Thank you.