Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Continue to Have Right Abdomen Pain 4 Months After Surgery

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hi - On April 11th I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically.  On April 27th my surgeon requested that I have a CT Scan of my abdomen done because I continued to have pain in my right side.  The CT Scan showed that I had fluid build up where my gallbladder use to be.  I was admitted to the hospital and had the fluid drained.  After a two night stay in the hospital I was released.  It was determined that the fluid was definitely not bile and didn't "grow anything" so appeared to not have been an infection.  No one was ever able to identify what caused this.

I continued to have pains in my right side.   On May 7th I had another CT Scan done of my abdomen.  The pocket of fluid was no bigger than on April 27th.  I was told to wait a week and then have another CT Scan done.  On May 14th I had a third CT Scan done and things looked "normal".  I was released to go back to work.  I continued to have pains in my right side so made an appointment with my Gastro specialist.  He ordered an endoscopy, an MRCP, and most recently a CT scan of my abdomen.  All tests and blood levels were within normal range.  He put me on Levbid (which caused me to pass out) so I quit taking that.  He also put me on Actigall which caused me to break out in hives.  So I'm no longer on any medication.  The Gastro specialist  doesn't know what else to do.

I feel really bad and want to feel better.  Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Have a GREAT day!      Sue from Virginia
I too was readmitted in the hospital about nine days after gallbladder surgery.  I still had terrible pain in my back and I mean terrible.  A week after surgery I had an attack like the ones before surgery.  8th day still felt terrible.  9th day I woke up gagging and throwing up only a little yellow stuff?  So, on the 9th day I went to the Er and was then admitted for two days.They put me on the surgical floor and all they could do was make sure the surgery wasn't making me feel that way.
They put me on an iv of fluids but wouldn't let me eat.  I finally ate the next afternoon.  My stomach really cramped up before I ate.  After I ate, I started to go to the bathroom.  I am not kidding---I had diarrhea like water and went over thirty times from that afternoon to the next morning. They did a cat scan of my abdomen and pelvic area of which they said was fine.  It did show some fluid build up where my gallbladder was,  BUT THEY SAID THAT WAS NORMAL????? I went home and continued to feel awful.  Could not eat and have lost ten pounds.  I saw my doc who put me on meds for my stomach pain, one for nauseosness, tylenol for pain, and some anxiety meds.  I go to the gastro doc tomarrow and am really scared of what he may do.
Sorry to hear you are having troubles similar to mine.  Please let me know what the doctor says when you go today.  I think my Gastrointestinal doctor is at his wits end not knowing what to do.  I'm thinking about going to see another doctor because something isn't right.  Good luck at the doctor.