Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Could this be more than IBS?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Could this be more than IBS?

In Sep. I went to my doctor complaining of stomach pains (in no particular area).  He sent me to a gastro. who found blood in my stool so he performed a colonoscopy/upper endoscopy.  He found inflammation in my ileum.  He has diagnosed me with IBS.  I was under the impression that inflammation and blood in the stool (which went away for a while and now is back) were NOT symptoms of IBS.  My biopsies were "ok" my doc says...he thought they might be Chron's and  called in a pathologist to look at them, but he says that they are not.  Recently I have been experincing diarhrrea with mucus and blood (in the mucus) for about three days.  How can I get my doctor to take my concerns seriously and stop shoving this diagnosis of IBS on me.  Also , I have joint aches (esp. when my stomach hurts) which he thinks is nothing!  Help!
  Thanks,
  kmf
________
Dear KMF,
The presence of blod in the stool and mucosal inflammation o fthe ileum would argue against a diagnosis of IBS.  It is relevant to emphasize that it may be difficult to diagnose Crohn's disease and often a pattern of findings is needed before one can confidently diagnose Crohn's disease.  Therapy of Crohn's disease depends on the degree and nture of symptoms.
This informationis presented for educational purposes only.  Ask specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: IBS, Crohn's disease
01