Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Ct Scan Showed Ovarian Cyst

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Ct Scan Showed Ovarian Cyst

Dear Kevin,

I had a ct scan that showed what the radiologist thought was probablly a 4.5 cm ovarian cyst.  I called my OBGYN and he said to go and pick up the CT films and bring them to his office.  I took him the films.  When looking at the CT scan he also thought it was an ovarian cyst.  He did a sonogram in his office and could find no evidence of the cyst at all.  Since I am going to be having surgery soon for a hernia repair, he said he would like to have another doctor there to look inside with a scope, and then deal with any other problems then.  What other things can mirror a cyst on a ct scan?  could it have been a gas bubble?  Could the cyst have ruptured?  Could it be something else that the gynecologist isn't finding?  I saw the CT scan and the item definitely looked like something.  It was a dark round area measuring 44.5 MM.  There was a ruler under the item, and there were several pictures of it.
Thank you.
Thank you.
There are many causes of an ovarian mass other than a cyst.  I will assume you are a reproductive age woman (since the causes vary by age).  Causes can include the following: physiologic or functional cysts, ectopic pregnancy, inflammatory etiologies such as a tuboovarian abscess, endometrioma, benign and malignant ovarian neoplasms, or neoplasms metastatic to the ovary.

If the cyst was a physiological cyst, they tend to come and go during the normal ovulatory cycle.  Cysts can get quite large - some up to 10cm.  So it is possible that the cyst has receded during your normal ovulatory cycle.  

If the ultrasound is not revealing, an MRI can be considered to further define the lesion.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.