Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Damage from radiation theraphy

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Damage from radiation theraphy

About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with cancer of the cervix.  I had a total hysterectomy and several lymph glands were removed.  Some of these proved to be cancerous so I had to have radiation theraphy.  I had five weeks of daily external radiation and after that 48 hours of internal radiation.  The cancer is gone---but I am now having lots of problems from the radiation.  Have been diagnosed with radiation enteritis of the small bowel -- had one surgery three years ago to remove adhesions and try to straighten things out--no bowel was removed.  Also have radiation proctitis of the colon.  My worst problem is the damage to my pelvis.  I get stress fractures which are painful and I have to use a walker or wheel chair.  I'm 76 and enjoy life but these problems are cramping my style.  So thankful to be rid of the cancer, but would like to like to hear from anybody who has had similar problems and any tips on things that help would be appreciated.
Hi Gramdar,

Please don't feel bad that no one is responding!!!  Its just that radiation proctitis is somewhat rare.  There is a lady that was on this forum, if you scroll down you'll find her, and she had radiaction proctitis.  If you go to your search engine on your computer, you can type in radiation proctitis, and information will come up, such as what you can do to treat it.  I don't think that many people, including myself, are too familiar with this condition.  I'm sorry!!! :-(  There also may be some support groups in your area for people that have dealt with cancer, and maybe you could talk to some people there that are going through what you are.  I'm glad you beat the cancer!!!  It's sad that after all you went through with the cancer you have to deal with this now.  I hope you find something helpful!!  Good luck!!
katie
could you please let me know what to look for. I have scrolled down this list I must have missed it some how, about the other lady that had the same problem.   I also had cancer. and I am having some problem that sound similar.  I would  appreciate any information you could give me. My e-mail is ***@**** Thank you.