Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Dark Green Stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Dark Green Stool

Hi -

The last few days I've passed dark green stools & have had
some upper abdominal pain in the stomach area. The pain just seemed to develop out of nowhere and is a burning, gnawing kind of pain.

Taking a Pepto-Bismol tablet immediately causes the pain to stop. I plan on seeing a GI specialist if the dark green stools persist. But I am worried about the abdominal pain.

Anybody out there experienced anything similar ?

Many thanks - Lefty
the color of your stools is probably caused by the pepto or tums, etc.
The pain you described and where you're having it sounds like an ulcer.  You should go to your doctor and get checked for on because they can cure them now with antibiotics.  I did the same thing you did for a while.  I had a lot of stomach pain (and yes, the pepto bismol is notorious for causing black colored and strange stools.  The green can just mean that it went through your colon quickly.)  and i just used to treat it with TONS of tums and pepto bismol.  I did more damage to my stomach doing that, and it turned out that my stomach just produces too much acid and i was on pills for it for a while.  Don't worry about your pains!  The dark stool could also be caused from an ulcer.  If you see black in the stool, it could be digested blood.  Go to your doc!!! My dad had an ulcer, and he had the same pains as you.