Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Dark mucousy blood clots in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Dark mucousy blood clots in stool

62 year old male with long history of irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulitis, bowel resection (at age 45), 3 subsequent operations to correct blockages caused by abdominal adhesions; chronic hemmoroids (hemorrhoids), sygmoidoscopy less than 2 years ago showed only a few diverticuli & no infection. Recently have been passing lots of bright red blood presumably from hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) but also usually one or two very dark mucousy clots. Lots of intestinal distress, bloating, endless runs to bathroom. Am very familiar with symptoms of serious blockage and some of what is now chronic distress as described may be due to occassional self-correcting partial intestinal blockages, but this latest two-month old pattern is distressingly persistent. Dark clots during this period are a new development. Appointment with doc is pending, but meanwhile very concerned and curious. Help. Thanks, NickM
A colonoscopy would be the appropriate next step.  In addition to cancer, other causes can include a benign polyp, diverticulosis, inflammatory bowel disease (i.e. ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease), or colitis.  Discussing this and seeing a GI specialist is suggested.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
The possibilities are several, including some sort of colitis, a benign tumor, cancer, internal hemorrhoids, or even bleeding from above the colon. It's likely it'll need colonoscopy to figure it out.
folks who are in and out of hospital for surgery operations,take antibiotics etc should take yogurt with live culture to restore their flora.
Hi Mr. Surgeon
  My appendix was perforated with abcess (abscess) 8 months ago when I was scheduled for an interval appendectomy. In May, the CT showed, according to the radiologist and surgeons, the abcess (abscess) has resolved with slightly atelecstasis in thelung. Consults from surgeons have given me 50 yes/50 no for appendectomy.
1. Besides intra abcess (abscess), wound infection, hemorrhage, thromboli, adhesion, what is other postop complication ? Is IBD or IBS more likely ?  
2. Can a CT reveal a necrotized or gangrene appendix ? Can a person feel ok (no sharp pain or tenderness at the mc Burney)with a necrotized or gangrene appendix ?
3. At my prone position with my hand between the floor and the mc Burney area, I can palpate a lump of mass as I turn from side to side. Is it the scarred appendix and cecum ? Is it pouchitis ?
4. I now have slight pain in the mc Burney area and the back near the waist in the left. Is the pain radiate to the back ? If the problem is from adhesion and scaring, would an appendectomy be the cure ? Can Sepafilm reduce adhesion ?
5. Is it possible for interval laparoscopic appendectomy ? Is it more scaring, and thus less likely for lap procedure, as time goes by ?
6. I've read that a minimal invasive surgeon can perform scaring appendectomy with proper training and experience(performed over 100 interval appendectomies), is that the requirement ? Where can I get to the data base of the surgeons ? Is Mayo the best clinic for GI problems and thus lap appendectomy ?
better start a new thread,surgeon and doc usually do not revisit the threads they have answered/
Thanks for comments, insights, recommendations. Seeing my gastroenterologist later today. Miserable.