Desipramine for IBS??

My internist recently prescribed a very low dose of desipramine once a day for my IBS.  I was skeptical, but my episodes have dramatically decreased in number.  Is this a proven treatment?
Dear Cheryl,
Antidepressants have been shown to be helpful in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Some antidepressants in low dose have pain relieving qualities and are also useful in patients with diabetic neuropathy. Although the mechanism is unclear, psychological factors and stress seem to play a role in exacerbations of irritable bowel syndrome. If you feel better with this medication, it would seem logical to continue it for now, under the guidance of your physician.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: irritable bowel syndrome