Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Diarrhea along with radiating pain on right side

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I posted a message earlier this month concerning retrocecal appendicitis and thank you for your helpful response.  However, for the past few days I have been experiencing a "twinge" like pain along my right hip and right side of abdomen.  Today, along with this symptom I experienced five bouts ofvery watery dirrhea to the point where the fecal matter was "grainy" like and the rest a dark color water.  I do not have the usual cramps experienced before having to go, but know I have to go because it feels like it's ready to come out.  This happens mostly while at work.  I did eat a small amount of spicy food, but it doesn't usually have this effect on me.  What worries me most is the right sided pain, which is not accompanied with the classic signs of appendicitis (nausea, vomiting, fever, and increasing localized pain).  Your earlier responses suggested irritable bowel syndrome or Crohn's disease or tumor.  Would these symptoms occur in each of those disorders?  I am currently on 750 mg. of Relafen twice a day, which sometimes gives me trouble, but not like this.  Is it safe to take immodium while on Relafen?  And do I chalk this up to bad food rather than a worse problem?  Thank you for your help.
__________________________
Dear Diane,
Recurrent medical problems should be investigated at least once.  It is very possible that all your symptoms are related to eating bad food.  However, given that you are frequently ill, I think that you owe yourself medical investigation to exclude treatble causes.  Each of the diseases mentioned in the previous e-mail could cause your problems.  There is no honor in suffering from a treatable illness.  It is possible that no abnormalities will be identified and that the physician will tell you that there is nothing to treat.  At least, you will have piece of mind and not worry every time the symptom recurs.
It is probably safe to take low dose Im odium (1 or 2 tablets) to slow down the diarrhea, provided that you do not have blood with your stool, fever or chills.
This information is provided for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical problems.
If you want, we would be happy to see you in the Division of Gastroenterology at Henry Ford Hospital and perform the appropriate investigations after we have had the chance to meet you and to review your history in greater detail. You can arrange an appointment with Dr. Fogel, one of our experts in the diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal disease by calling the Henry Ford Physician Referral Line at (800)653-6568.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: abdominal pain, diarrhea, crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome
0.3