Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Diarrhea and nausea for 3 weeks

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Diarrhea and nausea for 3 weeks

I am a 34 year old male with no family history of stomach problems although I have had a sensitive stomach on and off for years (gassy) but never diarreah (diarrhea).
Saturday 3 weeks ago I had the sudden onset of diarreah (diarrhea). While sitting in the cinema with a friend I had the sudden urge to go and felt quite unwell.

With this I have had stomach cramps and nausea, the nausea normally comes on when I have passed a stool.

A few days later I also developed gattae psorrosis.

The night before I had been out drinking with friends, ate a takeout and spent sometime in a sauna and jacuzzi.

The doctors prescribed me Lomotil, which I have not taken regularly, my stomach feels quite tight after I take them.

Initially the diarreah (diarrhea) was pale grey, sometimes cream coloured in parts but for the past week or more it has returned to a darker brown colour. It also has not been as bad it was was, not explosive and less frequent. The cramps have died down too. Yesterday morning was 'normal' but this morning it is watery again.

The doctor did stool tests on 2 samples which came back negative and has told me to wait another 3 weeks.

Just to add a before this started I did notice 2 days where my glands in the neck were painful but this went.

There is no blood in the stool.

I have also had a couple of cold sweats at night but nothing to the degree of leaveing me soaked, just a sweaty forehead. This has happened about 4 times in the 3 weeks.
I have lost a little bit of weight, nothing drastic, my doctor says thats normal with dirreah.
I was tested for HIV about 7 months ago and that was negative.

Any suggestions would be great.

There are many causes for chronic diarrhea.  Infection should be ruled out first - and it seems like it was with the negative stool cultures that were taken.  Ensure that tests for ova and parasites, bacterial infection, and culture were taken.

If negative, then endoscopy (either a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy) should be considered to evaluate for inflammatory bowel disease, which also can cause chronic diarrhea.  

I would consider a GI referral to discuss these options.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
I just wanted to add that on a couple of occassions I have seen what looks like white slime, like a line of white gunk on the stool.
Hi - I have Crohns disease (34 yrs now) and often see a white piece of mucus in my stool, especially when the disease flares.
Only way to diagnose Crohn's is by a colonoscopy. Good luck.