Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Diarrhea more than 5 days

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Diarrhea more than 5 days

I had what I thought was a stomach virus that started 7 days ago. I had a slight fever (100.5) for a day and diarrhea. The next day, the fever subsided and I started to feel better, but still had yellowish, soupy diarrhea. I was eating very bland food (rice, bananas, crackers) and was keeping hydrated. I tried Pepto, but it didn't do anything.  My appetite came back a few days ago and I have been eating normal meals, still trying to stay on the bland side, though. But the consistency of my bowel movements is still the same, it's very particulate, never formed, and feels like liquid coming out. I'm also having bowel movements every hour or so. It seems to be taking meals about 12 hours to go through, which is normal for me. Otherwise, I feel completely fine...no fever, plenty of energy, etc. Is this cause for concern or does it take this long for my system to recuperate from being sick? Thanks.
Sending the stool out for culture and analysis should be done to exclude an infection.

If the symptoms continue, a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy can be considered to exclude inflammatory bowel disease or other signs of inflammation that may contribute to the diarrhea.  

More specialized tests like stool tests for malabsorption and blood tests for celiac disease can be discussed as well.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Hello Dr. I have a friend who has cronic (chronic) diarrhea for the past 6 months.Has been under care of Dr. Ludwig at Duke.He has done all test to find the problem.All test showed no problem with the intestine.He suggested A Neospecturn operation.I just learned of a similar problem discussed on TV.Gullbladder (gallbladder) manufactures to much bile that causes the diarrhea.Not sure of the spelling.A (Dr Habbos) says a blood test will show  the problem and a cholesterrol medication solved the problem.Know as the Habbos Syndrome.Again not sure of the spelling.Can you be of any help.
   Tx ****
Re:  Watery diarrhea for 2 weeks.  My husband had bypass surgery in August.  He noticed an itch in his groin about l  1/2 months and was told it was a fungus.  He is using Monistat cream and it seems to have cleared up but now has the diarrhea about 2-3 times daily.

He had colon cancer 13 years ago and has been followed with colonoscopies which are normal.

Any thoughts on this problem?
I have had the same problem. It is called Habba syndrome,from the bile of the gallblater.The medication given to me is questran and is a powder you mix with water twice a day.It has worked great for me almost rightaway. Ask your
dr. about it.  Good luck   Nan
My signigicant other has had diahrrhea for over a year.  He was treated by a GI doctor with antibiotics when it was discovered that he had a bacterial infection.  He was fine until he was off the antibiotics.  He drank water at my home which was then discovered to have ground water bacteria.  The water didn't disturb me but it could have disturbed him.  We are no longer living in my house and the water he is drinking tested bacteria free.  He is taking Culturelle but still has diahrrhea.  Any suggestions?
A related discussion, Diarrhea for 10 days now was started.