Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Diarrhea to constipation and nausea after eating.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My friend has had from (primarily)diarrhea to constipation after eating as well as constant nausea for the past 6+ months. She has had blood and stool tests as well as a colonoscopy that has shown up normal. She has been losing weight and has recently had itchy skin and bruising. The doctor is uncertain of the problem and has scheduled an MRI and a full colonoscopy. She constantly feels sick and frequently uses the bathroom. IBS has been known for a while, but not to this extreem. She is more concerned about the constipation due to a few years ago, the intestine was twisted which required emergency surgery. She has had a hysterectomy and takes medications for various things. Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
I would seriously talk her into seeing a gastroenterologist ASAP, especially someone knowledgeable about celiac disease.  All her symptoms point to celiac disease;  the weight loss, diarrhea and constipation, feeling nauseated, spending a whole lot of time in the bathroom, etc.  If she has been diagnosed with IBS and still having problems, maybe even worse,  it is likely that she actually has celiac rather than IBS. They have the same set of symptoms, but a closer evaluation needs to be done.  A large majority of IBS patients actually have celiac disease. Unfortunatly, it is the most underdiagnosed disease in America.

For more information on this disorder, please visit these websites.  They have been very helpful to me when my son was diagnosed with celiac.

www.celiac.com
www.gluten.net
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac

type the latter in the address bar exactly as above to enter directly into the forum.  It is the best celiac support group on the net and everyone welcomes newcomers with open arms, even if not diagnosed yet.  They are very knowledgeable and will help answer your questions and direct you and your friend in the right direction for testing, diagnosis, doctors, etc.

I hope all works out for your friend and she will be able to find some answers to her problem.  Please keep me posted.
Thanks.

rhyanen
By the way, I forgot to mention that the itchy skin could be a component of celiac disease, called dermatitis herpetiformis, which in 99% of people with the rash, have positive tests for celiac disease.

rhyanen
Thank you very much for your input. I believe she had been tested for that, but the doctor doesn't seem to think it is Celiac. My friend has done research and believes she has Celiac disease. She likes her doctor, but I told her to get a second opinion. She has considered following a gluten free diet to see if that helps. Thanks again!
Celiac disease sounds likely to me too.  I tested negative for it on my last blood tests, but although the doctor said they are 100% accurate, a friend who has it, and is an MD says, you have to be consuming a lot of wheat to make it that accurate.

Anyway, something else to consider, milk allergy.  Alternating diarrhea with constipation is common with that too.