Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Diastasis Recti with a hernia

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Diastasis Recti with a hernia
I got an umbilical hernia via my 1st pregnancy.  I was told to wait until I am done having kids to get it fixed.  After my 2nd (and final) child, I also got diagnosed for Diastasis Recti.  It is a wide separation as the surgeon I consulted was able to get 5 fingers in between the muscles.  

The surgeon told me normally he would fix the hernia laparosocpically, but he is concerned that without the muscle behind it, the procedure might not hold.  I am waiting results of a CAT scan for his final recommendation, but as of now, he wants to repair the stomach muscle, remove the excess skin and then fix the hernia.  He mentioned I may have my belly button removed.  I am obviously concerned about the cosmetic aspect of this procedure.

Can the hernia be repaired without having to do any surgical procedures on the stomach muscles?  Can the diastasis recti be repaired through exercise and then the hernia fixed?  Does a severe separation require plastic surgery and if so, do I need to separate surgeons, one to do the muscle repair and the other for the tummy tuck?
This is more of a general surgical question rather than a gastroenterology question.

I will request that this question be moved to the correct forum.

Thanks,
Kevin
What forum was this questioned moved to?