Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Diastasis Recti

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Diastasis Recti

I am a 62 year old male that has developed a Diastasis Recti.

All the information on the Internet is for infants and women who are pregnant or have just recently delivered.

Where can I find information for an adult male?

When I exercise should I avoid those exercises that cause the half-a-football lump between my breastbone and navel?

What type of doctor should I have examine me for this?

Open to any other pertainent information.

Surgeon has kindly addressed your questions in his comments below and I agree with his assessment.

As for a physician to examine this condition, I would suggest a general surgeon for further evaluation.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek. 2001;160(3):77-8. Related Articles, Links

[A method of surgical treatment of diastasis recti abdominis]

[Article in Russian]

Deriugina MS.

The author describes her original method of operative treatment of patients with diastasis of the rectal muscles of the abdomen intended for liquidation of divarication of recti, formation of the new white line and strengthening of incompetent aponeurotic formations of the abdominal wall with the help of lavsan explants. The method was successfully used in 73 patients with long-standing complex diastasis of the rectal muscles of the abdomen. The average age of the patients was 45.9 years. The long-term results were followed up during the period from 1 to 11 years. No recurrences were noted. Three patients had mild relaxation of the lateral muscles of the abdomen, so they have to use elastic bandages and to fulfill feasible work.

PMID: 11517797 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Dont know anything about the condition ,found this on medline :search adult Diastasis recti........good luck
diastasis recti is mainly a cosmetic thing: it looks funny, but it is not dangerous. There's really no reason to have it surgically repaired other than to improve the appearance; and operations have a fairly high failure rate over time, because the area being stictched is thin. You won't pop open. You can do whatever activity you feel like doing. You could consider an  abdominal binder when doing especially strenuous things.