Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Did I have a hernia or is it IBS?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Did I have a hernia or is it IBS?

Hello to all.I'm 25 years old, 5'8" and wiegh about 145lbs lost wieght from my recent conditon. In good health my whole life until now. About a month ago at work I was just standing there and suddenly had a pain in my lower abdominal near my groin, thought nothing of it because it went away in a few minutes. then a few days later my whole abdomen just hurt alot. Went to the er diagnosed with constipation. Took magnisium citrate to relieve it. It was fine till 2 days later then that pain came back in my groin area and my abdomin (abdomen) started hurting again. I started taking laxatives everyday. The next week I went back to the er because I was, so I thought having a hard time breathing. But realizing it now it was my liver that was achey (achy). It didnt hurt at the time and I'm not even sure it's really my liver that hurts now but the pain is pretty much below my rib cage on the right. It feels like its swollen or something I cant explain it but it hurts. Well to continue. I dealt with this pain around my groin area for about a week then I went to see my doctor. He checked for a hernia but he said I didnt have one but he did feel a gap where one could be starting. So he sent me for a t scan the next week. The thing is I was feeling like my insides were going to just give up so I took a fleet sline laxative and I had an exceesive force defication and that seemed to fix my groin pain for some reason, like whatever was there or stuck became unstuck and it felt better except for the pain or just the presence of something the that was swollen. This happened a few days before I was to get my ct scan. I have a few questions concerning this.

1. Is it possible to have a hernia but unable to be detected through the usaul methods. (i.e. examination of the groin area)?

2. Although a ct scan can find many things can it show the blood that goes from the intestine to the liver?

That's what I believe happened is I had a hernia and the part of the intestine that was in the muscle had suffocated and oxgenated blood has been unable to get to the liver. I'm afraid of this because I dont want any irreversible damage because my doctor thinks its IBS.

My ct scan came back normal except that I found out I only have one kidney.

I've recently been having these cramps or maybe spasms in odd places like the front of my elbow the back of my leg. Feels like its just one muscle strand. I used to have sharp pain right above my bladder as if someone stuck a cold knife into it.
Ive had orange stool tan stool mucous and blood but only from hemroids because of the laxatives. I just thought the tan stool was from me being constipated and maybe it was stool the was in my intestines for awhile and lost its color.

Any and all help and advice would be surely apperciated. I thank you for reading my post. Have a heathy day.
To answer your questions:

1) Yes, it is possible to have a hernia that can go undetected by the usual methods (i.e. physical exam or imaging studies).  This can occur during the early stages.

2) A CT scan is not be test study to evaluate vasculature.  If this is suspected, then an angiogram can be consider or a magnetic resonance angiogram (MRA) - which is a less invasive study.  These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

If the diagnosis continues to be non-revealing, another GI opinion should be sought.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
It's possible to have a hernia that on any given day may not be easily felt. It's not possible to have "suffocated" tissue that was in the hernia (it's called strangulation) and have it go undetected: when such a thing happens it's very clear by exam, and by definition the tissues would not have returned to normal on their own. When they are stuck enough to strangulate, it's impossible to get unstuck on its own; it requires emergency surgery. Also, liver pain would only occur when the liver is really sick: it doesn't have much in the way of pain nerves, and requires swelling and inflammation of the surface to cause pain. Such things also are not the kind that would go undetected, either on scans or lab tests.
A related discussion, Abdominal pain was started.