Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Dietary Dos and Dont's

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Dietary Dos and Dont's

I have been diagnosed with cirrhosis, caused by not only years of alcohol abuse but also damaged from chemotherapy.
  I've been sober for 3 months and am trying to rebuild my life.  Only time will tell how much of the damage will repair itself but I would like to help it along as much as possible.  What foods should I avoid and what should I include?  Do you have any other suggestions?
  Thank you for your help.
____________
Dear Kelly,
In general terms you should eat a healthy diet with adequate vitamens, minerals, and calories.  You should avoid alcohol aas this will further damage your liver.  
There are no specific foods that should be eaten or avoided.  The total number of calories and the distribution into fat, carbohydrates should be similar to that used by individuals with normal liver function.  If your liver function is adequate, then your protein intake can be in the normal range.  If however, protein causes you to be confused, then limitations in the intake of protein will be needed.  Vegetable protein may be preferrable to anaimal sources.  
It is great that you will maintain a healthy diet, but unfortunately, there is no evidence that you can reverse the liver scarring.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: cirrhosis
0.2