Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Digestive discomfort (various)

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Digestive discomfort (various)

I've been suffering with this now for about 6 weeks. I know I have some diverticulosis (not inflamed right now... I just had a CT Scan which was normal). My symptoms have changed over the past month from, originally, diarrhea and I just didn't feel well. Now the symptoms have moved to my stomach, AND, I don't feel well. That is, most of the time I don't feel well. Sometimes, even a whole day, I feel just fine.
My bowels now are moving just fine... fairly regularly in the am, but the stool color, etc. have changed some. My Dr. has now referred me to a GI guy and I can't see him for more than a week (seems like eternity). My Dr has recommended a colonoscopy and an endoscopy to the GI Firm. What I'd like to know, is there anything I can do for these symptoms? The symptoms now are my stomach seems bloated the moment I eat. I feel like I need to burp... and I force myself to do that by drinking a little ginger ale (this helps). I just can't keep this up.. it's effective everything I do. I just paid $16 to see if I can get any good advice. So... there it is. Anything I can do?
Chronic diarrhea can be caused by a variety of conditions, including an infection, malabsorption, or inflammatory bowel disease, among others.

I agree with the colonoscopy as the next test to exclude these possibilities, as well as stool studies and blood antibody tests.

An upper endoscopy can look for various causes of bloating and the feeling of burping.  An ulcer, GERD, or inflammation of the upper digestive tract are all possibilities.

I can't give advice as to what to do for the symptoms without knowing the cause.

So, I agree with your doctor's recommendations, and would pursue these tests as the next step.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/kevinmd
i have upper chest pains and very bad bloating. i feel i have gas that i cant get rid of do you have any idea on how to settle my stomache